Monday, November 5, 2018

Wonder Woman 5K/10K

Sunday’s run/walk was more fun that even I had imagined.
Fun started with Saturday’s package pickup. There was music, interactive displays and, of course, a Wonder Woman lookalike.

Interactive WW Invisible Plane

Interactive Doll Box


Interactive Save the World

There was also a “Share Your Wonder Woman Moment” board to post the most bravest thing you’ve ever done, what you’re most proud of.

Most just wrote their name, but for me it was a no-brainer. My bravest moment and what I’m most proud of is having outwitted my ex-husband the week he planned to kill me to stop me from leaving him. I managed to trick him into leaving me alone and unguarded for ten minutes and, in those ten minutes, I was gone in the first two, having grabbed my six-month old twin girls and fled with the clothes we had on our backs.

Escaped My Abusive X

Icing at package pick-up was watching snippets of Linda Carter’s Wonder Woman television series and Gail Gadot’s movie version playing on a big screen. In addition, Linda Carter welcomed us to the event.



I’d previously posted that, inasmuch as my bib number was 1990 and I’d registered early, there was the likelihood of a lot of numbers after mine.
Was there ever!
Race Day was an ocean of participants dressed as Wonder Woman, men and women. A total of 5000 participants and a live band.
One could barely move through the venue, but so much life and activity and fun and excitement that no one seemed to mind.



I totally geeked out when I saw Batman in the crowd.


Geeked out AND managed to embarrass myself by saying, “I’m so excited to see you” as if he is the real Batman ... as if Batman is a real person.


As you can see, I decided to wear the tee provided by the race organizers, because it was cooler, paired with red leggings. The crown was too heavy, so I decided not to wear it and have it slow me down, as I’d planned to push myself and cross the finish line in under an hour.
Batman had competition.


At the Start Line, I turned around to show how many were ahead of me. So many that you can’t even see the front. And this is just the 5Ks, as the 10Ks started 30 minutes ahead of us.


This is what’s behind me. Once again, so many that you can’t see the end.


It was so cool that Linda Carter counted us down and we set off to the sound of the Wonder Woman theme.


Under an hour didn’t happen because, with so many on the course, it was difficult to maneuver. Plus, there was entertainment to see and enjoy all along the course ─ Cheer Squads, a D.J., the LA Clippers Spirit Team, Dancers.
Here are some interesting others I saw on the road.




What with dodging other runners/walkers, stopping to watch some of the entertainers, I came in at 1:06:30, ranking 8th in women 70-74.
At the finish line was water, bananas, protein bars and Wonder Woman donuts to refresh us.


Of course, I declined all but the water.
Also, at the finish line, was this cool medal for my collection.



Being as how this was an Inaugural Run and was so wildly popular, there’s a good chance they’ll be back next year.
I can’t wait, but next year I’ll wear the crown and cape.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what an ultra-fabulous event! It looks like sooooooo much fun! Congrats on your good finish in your age group too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but would you believe someone in my age group ran the entire race and finished No. 1 at 0:34. Geesh. She flew.

      Delete
  2. What a hoot! That was an enormous crowd and looks like good times shared by all. Another win, another happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next year you'll be in the next age group. Start training now for that number 1 finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike as I was already considering doing just that.

      Delete
  4. Nice work! I hate to run but this made it look like fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually run, more like walked at a rapid pace. But I'm going to train so I can run part of the course next year.

      Delete
  5. Bravo and applause. You are number one in my eyes. That's truly heroic and fun too.

    ReplyDelete