Monday, November 12, 2018

Fire Weather

Waking up this morning, feeling like I’d had a full night’s sleep, out of bed I popped, feeling energetic and ready to get the day started.
Then I looked at the clock.
It was 1:45!
I don’t usually wake up that early unless my subconscious is telling me there’s a disturbance in the force, so I looked around the unit, outside through the windows, perked my ears, but saw and heard nothing.
Not ready to try to go back to sleep, I booted up the computer, logged onto facebook and saw my Archeologist friend had posted this …



That’s behind the University, where I’d planned to go walking today.
Thinking my spidey sense had awakened me at 1:45 because I needed to be concerned, I opened the patio windows, stepped out, listened for sirens, smelled for smoke. Having neither heard nor seen either, I decided it was safe to go back to bed, only I wasn’t sleepy.
Knowing I was going to have a hard time falling back asleep, I meditated for a bit THEN pulled out something better than a sleeping pill --- Bob Woodward’s Fear.
I STILL haven’t finished that book, but it’s not that I’m a slow reader, it’s because, unless you’re a History buff, the book is soooooo bloody slow, soooooo boring, a snooze fest. I’m lucky if I can get through six pages without yawning and then getting too sleepy to continue reading.
At any rate, after the book put me back to sleep, I reawaken at 7:00, checked to see what was happening behind the University and found fire services had everything under control. The fire was out.
Strange though that I didn’t hear engines or helicopters.
Looking at what happened in Paradise California — where the entire town has burned to the ground, and seeing what's happening in Malibu, I’m taking last night’s sleepus interruptus as a warning and reevaluating my priorities.
There is nothing in this unit I value more than the 15 Creative Memory Albums and, considering the Jeep I bought back in March doesn’t have near as much trunk and back seat space as the Saturn I had before, those albums and important papers are my saves. The two laptops can be replaced and, much as I love my sewing machine, that too can be replaced. A couple pair of leggings, tops, pj’s and toiletries are in the go-bag, but the go-bag comes after the albums and important papers, only if time permits --- because I can always buy more clothes and toiletries.
Heading over to the campus to put in some walking miles, and collect Poké Balls, didn’t happen. It was way too windy for that. Instead, I joined the seniors for November Birthday Celebration in the Community Room.
Attendance was sparse. Actually, only one with a birthday this month made an appearance. Then there was myself, The Baker, younger sister, older sister, The Seer and, of course, her Shadow. We all came just to support the event. But, with the poor attendance, I doubt the new Community Manager, whose event it was, will bother with December birthdays.
Checking the bulletin board, I see 42 residents have signed up for the catered Thanksgiving affair.
That’s quite good. The room will be full.

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you and wondering how close the fires were to your complex. It is indeed a scary time for anyone living near the hills filled with dead, dry trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out this fire was in the same area as the October fire and is thought to have been because there's a homeless encampment in that area. They were probably just trying to keep warm.

      Delete
  2. So terrible about these fires and lost lives.

    ReplyDelete