Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Pizza Tuesday

Hearing emergency vehicles coming in/out of the complex multiple times a day last three/four days and so out-of-touch with what’s happening outside the door of my unit that I haven’t a clue as to what’s going on, thought I’d check in with the seniors this Pizza Tuesday to catch up.
“Sick people” is what I’m told the sirens have been all about.
The occasional siren coming through every few days or weeks is not unusual at this senior complex. But neither is all day every day this time of year unusual because ─ the cold weather, seasonal depression, seniors become ill and some make a subconscious decision they’ve had enough, don’t want to face another year, and check out of life between Thanksgiving and the New Year.
It’s a phenomenon I’ve seen played out many times since moving here, and it makes my heart hurt so much that I’ve thought maybe I should live around younger more active adults.
This complex is listed as Active Seniors, but management is bringing in more and more residents who aren’t.
A new senior complex is going up behind that new shopping center I drive tobecause produce is fresher than the corner market (even though it’s the same chain).


This is the area where there’s a Sprout’s on one corner and new homes cropping up in previous vacant land across from Sprout’s.

Pokémon Go Gym, Sprout's Parking Lot

Through the clock tower (first photo) leads to the back of the shopping center and site of the new complex.

Notice of Filing Design Review for Senior Apartment Community 140 Units

There’s a walking trail right behind where the new complex is going up, my nail salon is in that area, as are the bank and Victoria Gardens Mall.
The Fire Department (which happens to be a Pokéstop, which is how I happened to see the notice) is so close to site of the new complex that they’d not need to use the siren, move the truck. Just walk next door to attend to seniors in distress.

Fire Department

Sounds like Paradise, and I’m of course, keeping an eye on what progresses, but it’s going to take a lot more than having to watch too much infirmity, illness and death here to get me to move because it’s financially beneficial for me to remain where I am. My rent is half, and in some cases a third, of what other so-called Affordable Senior Communities are charging ─ and the area where this new complex is slated for is definitely a pricey area.
Some of the units, in pricier communities, I’ve found not nearly as nice as my unit. In fact, two of the so-called Luxury Senior housing communities, in the Inland Empire area, have had a problem with bed bugs spreading from unit to unit. One complex was in the news last year because it was billing the residents $2300 for eradication for a bed bug problem which, because management did not handle the initial infestation, began spreading through the complex.
Not to mention I get along with my neighbors here. That’s notwithstanding the weird girl underneath my unit who doesn’t like me, but it’s not personal. She’s quiet, doesn’t bother me in any manner and she doesn’t like any of us because she doesn’t like people and we all qualify as people.
LOL.
Neighbor disputes are a big problem at some senior housing communities. It’s nipped in the bud here ─ like the time one neighbor chased another down the pathway with a broom. Both were evicted because that’s the rule ─ if two neighbors get into a dispute, which can’t be resolved, both are evicted. Then there was the time one neighbor egged the unit of another and that time a neighbor planted a snake at the door of The Baker’s unit, knocked and ran, so that, when she opened her door, she was met by a snake.
She says she screamed, slammed the door, called her son ─ who came and removed the snake.
She had an idea of who planted the snake, never gave me the person’s name, and never reported to management because she had no proof it was he.
Neighbor disputes of a racist nature, like when one old lady didn’t like the idea of Handsome Man moving into the unit beneath hers because he’s Black, made his life miserable by calling him the N word and dropping pots and pans on the floor to disturb his peace.
In that situation, there was a meeting with management, Handsome Man and the old lady, resulting in Handsome Man relocating to a friendlier quad.
Not only do I get along with neighbors, but management is not a problem for me.
I’m a rule follower, always have been so, so management doesn't bother meunlike others around here who signed the lease, initialed the rules, but then go about doing as they please and get dinged by management.
Even Head Maintenance Guy has gotten over being pissy with me. He now smiles, waves and is cooperative when I have a work order.
I’ve researched the management group involved in that new complex. 
They manage multiple affordable income units, one other Senior “Luxury” Community, and reviews are 2.2 out of 5.
Not good.
I’ve so many reasons not to chance a new complex, new neighbors, that I’ve no plans to move unless the Universe shows me by signs that it wills it to be so, but I will go to the grand opening, check the new place out.
I never got around to shampooing the carpet yesterday. I did, however, make that Korbel Champagne run.

Thanks Dkzody!

The little bottles are so00 cute. Just the right size for a single person.


Not knowing if the availability of this size is year around or just seasonal, I wanted to stock up. But other shoppers beat me to it. There were only three packs remaining and one of those had a bottle missing, so I grabbed two of the three. There are other Targets so, when out and about I see a Target, I'll probably drop in to stock up.
Nothing was shaking in the Community Room this morning, so I didn’t spend much time ─ just literally walked by, looked through the glass doors, then headed to the Game Room to talk to seniors on the computer and at the pool table. 
Karaoke was to have been today’s activity, but with folks are so at odds with management over stuff I missed at that Residents/Management meeting ─ icing on that cake being banning Fancy (The Baker’s Dog) from the room, no one showed up. 
I think it’s out of solidarity for The Baker.
Poor Activity Director was sitting in the room all alone.

3 comments:

  1. See this is where you and I are different. I see a big bottle and think I go this. I see the little one and think, I can have another and before you know it I"ve had what equals a regular bottle size. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live centrally in a large city and sirens are a constant around here -- fire, ambulance, police -- because the street outside my window is a major thoroughfare connecting the north and south parts of the city. I hardly even register them anymore -- they're just another background noise to me.

    ReplyDelete