Thursday, November 16, 2017

Sixty-Three Days Later

Ever since the lazy Maintenance Supervisor got off his butt and had the AC repaired, after nineteen days of being out-of-service in triple digit heat, the two portable AC’s I’d requested to get me through have been sitting in my unit – one in the living room, one in the bedroom.
I believed, and still do, the Maintenance Supervisor was punishing me for when I’d asked the office for his Corporate boss lady's number, so I could alert her to his not doing his job. At any rate, the veiled threat got the A/C repaired the very next day, so it worked.
But then there's his walking around giving me side-eye, not speaking, not picking up the portables.
Fine by me because I began using them for end tables with the plan, in the back of my mind, to embarrass him, for not picking up, when Corporate lady boss did her annual inspection. That is, if he didn’t run up and remove them before her arrival.
I didn’t have to wait that long.
An opportunity presented itself this afternoon at the Residents/Management meeting.
I didn't think I'd make it to this afternoon's meeting, which I expected to be a barn burner because of the building with no Wi-Fi, because I’ve been busy, getting ready to head out-of-town tomorrow, including shopping for shoes to wear to the funeral.
I don’t know what happened with the three pair of dress shoes I was sure I’d held onto. Couldn’t find them anywhere, and athletic shoes were not an option, so off I went to find shoes. While at it, I decided I didn’t want to be hot and uncomfortable in that wool Nordstrom’s suit in a packed church, so I ran all over town looking for a pant suit.
That turned out to be an impossible task.
I guess folks don’t wear two-piece pant suits any longer, so I settled for tailored slacks to match my old black blazer, and I'm happy with the look -- it's appropriate, comfortable, stylish.
I also researched restaurants in the area and worked out a plan where I can live on eggs for breakfast, I generally don’t eat lunch anyway -- just snack on raw veggies, cashews, coffee, so I can stop at a local market for those veggies. For dinner, I figure I can order chicken burgers, turkey burgers, toss the bread, add veggies or pick up a salmon dish from one of the seafood restaurants.
With everything done except packing and washing the car -- which takes place tomorrow morning on my way out, I went down to the Residents/Management meeting.
For the first time ever, Corporate boss lady was in attendance (so glad I went), as was all staff personnel.
Of course, with her on the premises, the entire staff was present front and center.
When the questions/comments period opened up, I raised my hand.
“I appreciate that when I almost died during the heat wave, because my A/C was out for 19 days that, when I requested Portable A/C’s that they were provided. However, it has now been sixty-three days and the portables are still in my unit growing roots."
I couldn't see Corporate boss lady's reaction, but the room went “Whaaaat” and “Whoaoooo”.
Lazy Maintenance Supervisor looked shat faced, but played it off saying, “And I see you every day and say good morning”, like he’d forgotten about the A/C’s and I didn’t remind him during those morning interactions.
In the first place, it’s not my job to remind him.
In the second place, he knew the portables were still in my unit, the other maintenance man even reminded him, but his plan was for me to beg.
And, third, those morning greetings never happened. He sees me, gives me side eye, I ignore it.
After the meeting, I added more coal to the fire by approaching Corporate boss lady saying, “It’s important for you to know the only reason the A/C finally got repaired was because I’d asked the office for your number so I could get you involved.”
“That never should have happened. Just call the Corporate Office and ask for me by name if something like that occurs again”, said she.
Head Maintenance Man is PISSED! I could feel and still feel his anger and that inside he’s calling me all kinds of beoches. 
How do I feel about it?
I’m tickled.
At any rate, it wasn’t ten minutes after the meeting when he’d indicated he and the other maintenance guy were ready to pick up the A/C’s. He literally yanked them down the stairs, with so much force that pieces began falling off. He snatched those pieces up at he stormed down the walkway.
It’s so easy to do the right thing, so the fact that his trying to get all macho with me and do what he wanted when he wanted backfired and ended up with embarrassment in front of a room full of residents and his Corporate boss is no one’s fault but his own.
So that's all the news from this part of the world until after Thanksgiving. Haven’t decided yet if going to take a laptop with me and blog from Long Beach, but probably not, so have a happy feast day one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment