Monday, August 21, 2017

Post-Eclipse

Well, that was fun.
Setting the alarm for 7:00, so I could be up, fed, washed and ready, I started off looking for signs of the eclipse through the patio windows.
It was overcast, the sun had not yet risen high enough over the roof of the building blocking my view, so I saw nothing.
Having decided to skip the patio and view at the college, I headed out the door at 9:00 sharp in walking gear -- iPod strapped to my arm, list of Pokémon I needed to evolve while on campus, then happened to glance over and saw Apache already at the pool, eyes on the sky.


I walked over and that’s as far as I got towards heading for the college, as others began joining us and we all had so much fun watching the sky, discussing the phenomena, taking photos, posing for photos.
Even management came out of their offices and got in on the fun (I guess no one had reason to escape the pressures of work and be sick today).


Residents who don’t particularly care for each other, some who had actually stopped speaking to each other, put aside their differences and joined in on the fun.
It was a real kumbaya moment.
I ended up with over 100 photos on my cellphone, some of which I’ve been asked to forward to various individuals, a few will go into my personal scrapbook, others I’ll provide prints for the Community’s Scrapbook, which someone has started.
As most others who’d joined us had failed to prepare, there weren’t enough glasses to go around. That is, except for the woman who brought a pin hole paper viewer and another who brought something called a welder’s shield (a little black square thingy) – neither of which appeared to work as well as the glasses.
Consequently, with not enough glasses, there was a lot of sharing – except for me.
I’m not exactly a full blown germaphobe but, when you factor in I’m always washing my hands, always cleaning the unit, won’t go to the movies because I can’t sit in a movie chair behind countless others for fear I’m going to catch something, carry disinfectant wipes wherever I go, I can admit to being somewhat a germaphobe.
Consequently, when asked for my glasses, I said, “Sorry. I’m funny about things like that”. I’m sure I’ll hear about it later, but ask me if I care. There was one time I left the glasses in the chair, but put the selfie stick and something else on top as a “Do not touch” signal while I snapped a photo and, when I returned, the glasses had gone missing yet and still.
Someone had loaned them to one of the maintenance men. Fortunately, the maintenance man didn’t seem too icky poo to me, so I didn’t spaz out. But, I didn’t put the glasses on my face again, just sort of held them up so I could see through. After that, I kept the glasses in my hand and when it looked like someone was going to ask to borrow, I held them in a protective way that signaled, “Don’t even ask”.
When the eclipse reached a crescent, which was the maximum we were to see in this area, we went inside to watch the full eclipse on television.
It was fascinating.
Hopefully the kumbaya after glow extends through tomorrow’s Pizza Day.
I doubt it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment