Thursday, March 24, 2016

Messy Business

Tomorrow is the Egg Coloring event organized by The Baker.

The last time I recall dying Easter eggs was when my girls were too small to do it themselves. Once they were able, they’d color ‘em, I’d hide ‘em, and that has to be at least 40 years ago. 
From what little I recall, the process was rather messy.

So messy, that I’ve been expecting Nurse Ratched to forbid the event.

Thus far, she hasn’t and, just in case a mess is made and repercussions follow, I’ve decided to keep myself separate and apart by dyeing my eggs in my unit today, rather than tomorrow in the Community Room. Tomorrow I’ll set aside for decorating the eggs and taking photos.

I’ve been designated “The Picture Lady” around here because I seem to be the only one that can take a photo. 

I don't know what it is with old people not wanting to take photos of other when requested. I once asked a woman to take a photo of me with an old friend I'd just run into. Her reply was a haughty, "I don't do that".  She was a friend of the person I'd just run into and "I don't do that" sounded like I'd asked her to do something terribly inappropriate.

When I've asked some of the residents in the Community Room to snap a photo, they generally decline stating problems with their hands being unable to grasp, hands shaking, they don’t know how to take a photo, get confused when shown. I’m not sure I’m buying all those excuses, especially since they all seem able to hold cell phones, pets, so it will be interesting to see which of those declining because of so-called problems with their hands and confusion, when asked to take a photo, are able to manage holding, dyeing and decorating eggs tomorrow.

Looking online, decorating Easter eggs has come a long way. Some are works of art and I found that, by using all manner of embellishments, one can create characters. I going to try to replicate something fun, like Minions and Ninja Turtles.

Thus far, the dyeing process in my unit has stayed true to still being messy, the coloring isn't coming out as perfect as I'd like but hey, it’s just eggs. After more than a few fails, I was finally able to get a couple eggs Minion ready (blue bottom half, yellow top half) and, replacing the green kit color with that green food color from St. Patrick’s day, I’ve managed a few eggs for turtles.



The turtle eggs are still not as dark a green as I was going for and, if I had to do it all over again, I’d dispense with the Easter coloring kit, the food dye and try Kathy’s idea of paste food color.

As for the failed to dye correctly eggs, it’s a good thing I like eggs because they will turn into breakfast, lunch, dinner.

2 comments:

  1. I LIKE the vibrant colors of your eggs. If you do try the paste food color, make sure you dissolve it well in the vinegar water. Otherwise you'll end up with spotty eggs.

    ReplyDelete