Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Ghost Tenants

You’re probably thinking the same thing I thought when I clicked on a New York Times article entitled “Ghost Tenants”. I thought the story was about people who lived with ghosts in haunted apartments, but turns out "ghost tenants" are people living in New York City’s public-housing units off lease – the result of the city’s affordable-housing crisis.

That gave me a word to describe the people sneak living with seniors here in the complex. I’m sure some of our ghost tenants are due to the economy, and though I personally understand, I’m really hoping we don’t end up with small children or party people or thuggish looking types in any of the two vacancies in this quad. That number soon to rise to three, as downstairs neighbor has definitely decided she’s outta here as soon as work on the new complex is done, which she describes as “soon”.

I took a look at the new complex online. It’s walking distance to my doctor, has a new public library attached to it, is near a park, a bus line, and is expected to have a lobby where people check in and everyone's goings and comings can be observed. 

Won't be any ghost tenants at this complex.



BUT … it’s elevators and hallways, which is a fine if I’m spending a day or so in a hotel, but I like to live where I can breath, not closed in with rows of units separated only by walls.

So, I’m good until I get really old and need an elevator, or need to be near the doctor’s office, or ghost tenants come in and screw up our nice quiet quad.

I passed a group of residents the other day and heard the word “move”, so I won't be at all surprised if we lose quite a few of the nicer tenants to the new location.

Elsewhere on the complex, Creepy Guy is strutting around, walking his dog, with a big stick in hand.

ROFLMAO!

Protection from women not appreciating his attention perhaps?

Though last week’s weather was good for walking, I logged in not one mile. Partly because I wasn’t in the mood and, when I was in the mood, the weather changed up on me or an errand ran interference.

I had no excuse this morning. I was in the mood, the weather was just the way I like it – a little chilly, no errands, so I logged in 2.88 miles in the area of the golf course.

Got a nice surprise when I slipped on my new walking top – the one I recently purchased for cold weather. It has a semi-glove built in to keep my hands warm.




How cool is that!

2 comments:

  1. Our studio apartment in San Francisco was in a high rise. We were on the 17th floor, which I loved. Door man, elevator, long meandering hall to get to the apartment. The walls were steel and concrete so you never heard anyone. I would go back in a heartbeat if the rent wasn't $3,000 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy smokes! That's a log for a studio, unless the fixtures are made of gold. But I guess it's all about location, supply, demand.

      Delete