Monday, February 15, 2016

Too Pooped to Pop

Last few days have not been impossibly warm outside, 82° today, about the same yesterday -- with high wind gusts both days, yet no miles logged towards my goal of a doable one-hundred miles by year’s end.

It hasn’t been for lack of motivation, it’s because I’m exhausted.

The result of the weekend’s linoleum and carpet cleaning spurt?

Possibility.

The result of the body once again becoming sluggish by improper nutrition, i.e., too much sugar?

Another possibility – a strong one.

Plus and too, there was some furniture moving.

Depressed Neighbor was about to be cited by Nurse Ratched for having exercise equipment on her patio. Neighbor had mentioned to me she needed to give her Cardio Glide away, inasmuch as she had no place to put it.

No exaggeration  -- her garage is full of furniture and her unit is overly furnished, overly decorated, with no extra space.

Her unit is cute, cozy, expensive looking with something everywhere – on every wall, in every corner, on top of every surface. She's even managed to squeeze in an almost full length, wall to wall, dresser in the bedroom and has a china cabinet in the front room.

There's no walking around room, no yoga and stretch space, you maneuver around and squeeze through.

At any rate, Cardio Glide is something I can work upper body and midriff while watching television and, since she was giving it away, I was happy to take it.

Moving the sewing machine to storage, until I next need it, and pushing a heavy table closer to the wall and relocating the bedroom’s runner to under the Cardio Glide, I fit it into my unit with room to spare.



So now, yesterday and today, I’ve been so tired that I can barely move. Even breathing, while in motion today, felt difficult. Nevertheless, I drug myself out to run an errand to Joanns Craft Store and Trader Joe’s this morning, and deliberately chose to go to the ones in Redlands where it’s generally cooler with good walking areas.

Cooler it was not. In fact, it was the opposite and I just didn’t have the energy to walk around so, after completing specific missions in the area, I returned to the complex.

Though Valentine’s Day was Sunday, the Valentine Day Party here at the complex isn’t until tomorrow, Tuesday, because the Activity Director only comes on Tuesdays.

I’m feeling so pooped right now that I don’t want to go, but I signed up to bring potato salad and to teach Older Sister how to cross stitch.

Ever since passing on to her all the counted cross stitch patterns given me by Apache, she’s been saying, “I can’t figure it out … show me”. Why she can’t, I do not know, because instructions came with the kits and that’s how I learned. Not to mention, back-in-the-day, when I taught myself, there was no YouTube to turn to.

At any rate, I’d promised to get together with her before the party.

To make it easier for her, and on myself, I won’t be working with the materials she has. Instead, I picked up a cute little Kid Stitch Kit at Joanns.



This should simply the process.

And speaking of Valentine’s Day, I caught the tail end of a conversation at Trader Joe’s about “Black Sunday”. The speaker was saying that, inasmuch as he’s single, not in a relationship, his weekend was considered “Black Sunday”.

Never heard of it.

The speaker went on to say, “But doesn’t matter. I’ve got mom to take care of. I barbecued and made a cherry pie.”

I don’t know if he’s to be commended for being the good son, caring for his mom, or if he’s a moocher – more living off his mom than caring for ... I've seen both.

At any rate, as soon as I returned to the complex, I googled “Black Sunday” and learned it’s a tradition in South Korea. “In South Korea, women give chocolate to men on February 14, and men give non-chocolate candy to women on March 14 (White Day). On April 14 (Black Day), those who did not receive anything on February 14 or March go to a Chinese-Korean restaurant to eat black noodles and lament their single life.”

Interesting, but doesn’t seem to have anything to do with our Valentine's Day tradition.

Nothing new on the complex, same old same old -- people moving in, people moving out.

No one has yet moved into the vacant unit across the quad. Word still is the Maintenance Supervisor is to be the new tenant, but it’s been vacant so long that now I wonder.

Elsewhere on the complex, my downstairs neighbor – the woman who is still thinking about moving to the new complex in Bloomington, is off to Hawaii for a week.

Even though I should be detoxing sugar out, I’m hoping she brings back some chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

2 comments:

  1. I've always thought of Redlands as being super hot. I hate to go to Joann's or Michael's at any time of the day or week. Ghastly crowded stores that are hard to find things quickly.

    As for your neighbor, our next door neighbors, the sisters, are the same. Every inch of their 1200 sq foot house is covered. No room to maneuver. I couldn't live like that. I even like empty rooms but we no longer have any of those here. I filled our family room with bookcases and photographs. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. As elegant and cozy as the neighbor's unit is, the walls would close in and I'd feel suffocated with that much stuff around me.

      Delete