Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Day After

Woke up raring to get the day started at 5:00 this morning -- early enough to beat the heat and do a mile or two of slow walking to limber the body up from yesterday’s 5K, only I had a hard time moving because I hurt all over.

Thanks to the epsom salt soak, my feet were no longer burning, but every bone in my body felt like it had been hit with a hammer. I’m thinking I probably need to add Dr. Scholl’s Air Pillows for extra cushioning to my athletic shoes.

There is a 69 year old grandmother I frequently see at these 5Ks, also named Shirley. She doesn’t walk, she RUNS. The top runners, age 26 to 31, generally finish a 5K in 16 to 25 minute. Grandma is right behind them, finishing in 33 minutes.

Talking to her yesterday, I said, “I don’t see how you do it. You must have been an athlete.”

“No ... I’ve never been an athlete. I didn’t start running until five years ago.”

What?!

Amazing!

As the two oldest in the group, I should have taken a selfie with her.

Next time.

At any rate, I passed on getting out any time today for any reason.

With nothing to do, other than housework and needlepoint, I thought I’d tackle the last piece needed to complete the Minion Halloween costume I’m working on – a yellow top.

You would not believe how long I’ve been working on that yellow top, nor the expense.

I started with a bleaching a lime green long sleeve active top I already had. It turned just the right shade of yellow; however, the heat had me rethinking long sleeved.

It’s not the right season for yellow, so trolling the internet for days looking for a yellow short sleeve active top went nowhere until I lucked up on a yellow Danskin Now top on sale.

However, once received, I saw it had ruching along the sides.




Didn’t like it for the costume, but decided to keep as might come in handy for something else.

Next I tried dying my white short sleeve active top. Being as how it’s 100% Polyester, I wasted time and gas going to the two craft stores which the internet indicated sold poly dye.

They didn’t, so I ordered poly dye from Amazon.

I did something wrong with the dye bath and the item came out splotchy.



Heartbreak.

I gave trolling another shot this morning, landed on Ebay, found and ordered a yellow cotton v-neck short sleeve tee. I prefer the polyester spandex fitted active tops but, at this point, I’ll settle for a cotton tee.



I think it’s going to work.

I just have to transfer the Minion Logo onto the front, costume completely done and onto whatever comes next.

2 comments: