Friday, September 25, 2015

Blessing in Disguise

I, along with several thousand others, were all geared up for tomorrow’s Bacon Run, where we not only had access to Bacon Stations along the course, but a Bacon Medal upon completion of the 5K, a Bacon T-Shirt just for registering, a Bacon Bar and Bacon-Themed Foods at the end. THEN comes an email yesterday -- “unforeseen circumstances … event rescheduled to Saturday, October 24”.

Looking at the event’s Facebook page, this has angered and inconvenienced quite a few, especially those who’d arranged for childcare and booked hotels. Fortunately for moí, the event is only a 15 minute drive from the complex, so not much of an inconvenience. Except, I’m registered for The Monster Run that rescheduled October weekend. In fact, there are numerous other races that weekend. Consequently, Bacon Run is going to lose more than a few participants.

With the loss of participants and refunds, Bacon Run in October is going to be nowhere near the event-of-the-year it looked to be before the reschedule. Hopefully, this doesn't bankrupt the organizers and jeopardize a 2016 Bacon Run.

Before the event was rescheduled, I’d been checking Yahoo Weather looking for a cool down. A cool down didn’t happen. Tomorrow is expected to be 101°.

So, though I’m disappointed I won’t be able to do the Bacon Run this year, I’m somewhat grateful at this cancellation blessing in disguise, as 101° probably would have messed me up.

On tap for today?

Today is Day 2 of the Fall Marketplace.



With household projects taken care of, and nothing else on tap, if I wanted something to do, that would be the place to go. Only, I don’t really want anything to do. After all that housework, I’m ready to chill the weekend away. I did, however, spend time in the Community Room catching up with the folks this morning.

Learned, the vacant unit in my quad has been leased.

That was unusually quick.

Seems the new Big Wig in the office is taking care of business and getting things done, as I’m seeing fewer and fewer vacant units.

I saw no one coming to view the unit, but I’m told there were three viewings -- a guy with lots of tattoos, two guys, a woman.

The woman took the unit, so more estrogen in the already heavily estrogenic quad.

I also learned the seniors are planning a Halloween Potluck Breakfast – not the Activities Director, but the seniors themselves.

More and more it looks like we really don’t need an Activity Director, though they plan to consult with her to see if she wants to be involved.

I was thinking of contributing something simple – like Tater Tots, but I’ve been asked to bring deviled eggs.

I dunno?

For breakfast?

I also learned of a not-so-funny feud between neighbors.

When I first moved in, there were neighbors who did not get along, the result of which was one neighbor chasing another with a broom down the walkway. Another set of feuding neighbors resulted in one egging the unit of the other.

This recent feud is turning into an episode of Investigation Discovery Channel's reality show Fear Thy Neighbor. There was a knock on the door of one at 4:00 in the afternoon.

The resident went to the door, opened it, and there on her doorstep was a snake.

She slammed the door really quick, so the snake did not get in, but says, “Snakes don’t knock. It had to be planted” and says she knew right away who’d planted it.

A call to the office to have the snake removed went nowhere -- "Call Animal Control" she was told.

“The snake will be gone by the time Animal Control gets here,” she replied, and ended up calling her daughter. Of course by the time daughter and son-in-law arrived, the snake was gone.

So now I’m nervous about walking around and through the complex knowing there’s a snake on the loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment