It’s a cool and windy 64 degrees today, but the chill factor has me feeling like I'm freezing, that it's about to snow, so I'm all bundled up in my camo onesie, hood up, to try to keep warm without turning on the heat.
I did redress in warm clothing and headed out to pick up photos I’d had developed at the drugstore, which drugstore is across the street from a branch of the market I frequent.
I really didn’t need anything, but Find the Elf was due back December 1 so, figuring the games afoot, I thought of things I could probably use, just so I could hunt.
I was expecting to see the usual sign with the name of the elf saying "Our Hometown Elf is back. Find the hidden elf around the store and get a fun free treat", but no such sign was posted.
Figuring store management just hadn’t gotten around to the elf thing, I didn’t hunt; just picked up kale, potatoes and headed for the check stand where I asked, "Are you not bringing back the elf this year?"
I was told, "Yes, he’s here. I don’t know where he is, but he’s here".
"I don’t see the usual signs", said I.
"An announcement was made earlier".
What the hell use is an announcement?
What if you’re not there to hear the announcement?
So, anyway, now knowing there was an elf hidden in the store, plan was to go to the car, drop off the purchase, head back into the store to hunt; BUT, waiting for change, I glanced around and VOILA!, there the elf was, staring straight at me from its perch over the security guard.
"There it is", I excitedly exclaimed; whereupon, the cashier turned, looked, didn’t see it until I pointed out "Over the security guard".
Pausing on my way out to capture pics of the find, an elderly lady smiled, asked "How many elves do you have to find?"
"Just the one".
"There’s two in the store", said she and led me to the instore banking area where the tellers had propped an elf up behind their workstation.
It was a different looking elf from the one the store usually hides, kinda cheap looking, so I said, "That’s not the one we have to find. It’s a decoy", causing the tellers to laugh and say, "Yes. A decoy".
So, mission accomplished, I’m back in my unit, trying to stay warm with homemade coffee (not Starbucks, Bob) while redressed in that camo onesie.


You are a champion elf spotter!!!! What was your prize?
ReplyDeleteA tiny little candy cane, but I didn't collect it, don't care for peppermint; Besides, I'm in it for the joy of the hunt. But, if the prize were something chocolate, that I would collect, LOL.
DeleteSomeone worked hard to place that elf!
ReplyDeleteHaven't you heard about those pesky elves, moving to different locations when no one is looking? He climbed up there all by himself 😉.
DeleteThey can't fool you! You know your elves.
ReplyDeleteThey can try, but yes, I'm pretty determined, LOL.
DeleteYou’re always on the case. Stay warm!
ReplyDeleteI gave in and ran the heater last night.
Delete40(F) degrees here in Fresno this Friday morning. Dark, gray, with fog. It may get to 50(F) degrees by 3 p.m. We did see the sun for about 45 minutes on Thursday afternoon. I danced for joy as we had not seen any sun since late Monday.
ReplyDeleteFunny thing is, we're getting sun but it's still cold.
DeleteEagle eyes! Tricky placing a decoy😉
ReplyDeleteI don't think the girls meant it as a decoy, just decorations in their area; but for those looking for an elf, it's confusing. Some are going to think they've found it when it's not the correct elf.
DeleteI'd kill for a temperature of 67. It's 27 were I live and I keep putting off going to the grocery store. Glad you found your elf.
ReplyDeleteYou'd kill for 67 and 27 would kill me.
DeleteI quite like being referred to as Not Starbucks Bob!!
ReplyDeleteAnd you should be dubbed Elf Spotter Shirley!
LOL. You've got me feeling guilty, relying more on my in-home coffee bar rather than Starbucks.
DeleteThat grocery store should put the names of all the successful elf spotters into a weekly draw for a gift baskets of goodies such as chocolates or even gift cards for groceries!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea.
DeleteSounds more like ICE put that Elf above the darn security guard! And the banker's decoy Elf...hmmmm. It's a good time to visit K.C.: 7 degrees below zero yesterday morning, up to 27 degrees. We had 3" of snow you could play in. The sun came out, but it was fake. It only warmed you up if you wore dark parkas or your car sat in the sun. Be sure and bring that warm camosole onsie. Cover your windows with bubble wrap or blankets. I have fake sheepskin sherpa cloth on the inside walls that only have bricks on the outside.. Heat is good inside, included with my rent. Whew! Linda in jolly Kansas
ReplyDeleteI forgot all about the bubble wrap hack. I remember doing that a few years back, and it cut my heating bill down to half. This time around, I'm just bundling up, but this California weather of extreme heat to extreme cold is tiresome.
DeleteGlad you were able to find the elf.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to the hunt every year.
Delete