Or at least I was until I received a notification of activity on my credit report.
It was down the rabbit hole after that … tracking the source of the activity, heading out to one bank to have a card cancelled, replaced with a new card.
Drive over to a different bank to start the process of getting an account I did not open closed and off my credit report.
Then two hours online talking to Customer Service, who talked to their fraud people, who communicated back who I needed to fax to get the mysterious account removed.
Fax? I haven’t faxed anything, wouldn’t know how to fax because I haven’t had access to a fax machine since I retired 15 years ago.
We have the internet … email. Do people really still fax things?
Given a snail mail address, tomorrow I’ll knock out a letter indicating what they told me to indicate and that should be that.
At least I got some good quizzes out of all that hassle.
One was from a few weeks ago that I didn’t get around to posting.
Why did the apple join the gym?
Todays was … What do snowmen eat for breakfast?
In other news, the rains are over for the time being, but now we’re having strong winds … street signs are down, trash cans are rolling down the street.
Made for some scary driving and, I must head out into the wind again tomorrow for a dental appointment.
Good thing I managed to get Christmas back in storage, otherwise decorations would have been blown to Kansas by now. The side table and patio’s faux grass are taking a beating, knocked about but still there.
Cable was knocked out for a few hours but, knock on wood, we’ve not had any power outages. With the price of groceries, what I have in the freezer costs way too much to be spoiled by a power outage.
Plan for tomorrow is to survive the wind to and from the dentist, after which I can return to hibernating mode, put in time on my new read that grabs the reader’s attention right out the gate from the Introduction and Dedication.
Why did the apple join the gym? To work on its core.
What do snowmen eat for breakfast? Frosted flakes.


Frosted Flakes. Love it.
ReplyDeleteI would be livid if someone was opening accounts under my name. My card number was randomly stolen once and I was at the door of the bank when they opened. Of course all they could do was give me a phone number but we did get a new card and had the almost $10,000 trip to an amusement park in Dubai taken off my account. What makes me even angrier is that they will never get that money back and you and I are the ones paying for it in fees.
Fortunately for me, whoever opened the account must have been testing the waters, only spent $30 but opened up for $18,000 based on my credit rating. If I hadn't signed up for notification when my credit is run, my goose would have been cooked.
DeleteYou are so kind. Happy reading. May you not get blown to Munchkinland (or may you; it would be fun). Nice work staying on top of your credit. What a headache that is. Fax?!? Astounding.
ReplyDeleteI got nearly knocked over by the wind and I'm not a small woman, so Munchkinland could happen. Did the great author ever get around to reinstalling the piece of wood trim in his office?
DeleteSelf-serving me back again. Your comments about the opening of the book would make a great review on Amazon!
ReplyDeleteHint Hint, LOL.
DeleteP.S. Which of you two will Brad Pitt be playing when the movie version comes out 😉
DeleteAccording to many who knew him when he was younger, including my mother, a young Tom Selleck would have played SG. Me? Definitely NOT Brad Pitt. If only.
DeleteLOL. Don't sell yourself short.
DeleteEnjoy that book! I hear it has a wonderful romance at the heart of it, PLUS CATS!
ReplyDeleteI hope there's nothing sad in it. I hate reading and crying over what I'm reading at the same time.
DeleteYou got your SG book!!! Mine is on the way and I cannot wait to read it.
ReplyDeleteHopefully you get all this fraud shiz finished and done and kaput!
Readers can usually tell from the get how good a read is going to be and SG's book is looking to be a great read.
DeleteMake sure to FREEZE your 3 credit accounts. Then no-one can open anything. It is the best way to keep that from happening. Fraud is so stressful Roberta
ReplyDeleteStressful is right! and I did exactly what you suggested Roberta ... put a freeze on my accounts.
DeleteOH good! Getting hacked is so stressful. I used to have an Esty shop. So I started using PayPal. I used it for any purchases made online. I totally trusted it. I had 2 credit cards listed on there. One morning I woke up to alerts from my bank, my credit cards etc. It was terrifying. It took me months to get them all to remove the insane charges that were made overnight while I was sleeping. It was pretty easy to cancel the cards but getting the charges removed was another story. It took me months to get everything removed. PayPal was the worst. You cannot get a human on there no matter what. It is all AI. Once I finally got everything resolved I cancelled PayPal. Now I have 2 credit cards only. One for any online purchases and one for in store purchases. I check them all the time now. I even stopped using Quicken since I don't want them to be able to access my accounts. I hate being so paranoid but this is our world now. Roberta
DeleteI'd like to go back to the days when everything was cash only, when all we had to worry about was getting robbed on the streets rather than through all these invisible sources.
DeleteYe gods! Those quiz answers are worse than some of MY jokes! 🤣
ReplyDeleteWorse than yours??? I dunno. Debatable, LOL. But I do love your groaners.
DeleteGetting hacked like that is such a mess to work through. I had my credit card cloned or something a couple of years ago and found fake charges on it. Thankfully it was fixed easily and they sent me a new card. I think there are skimmers on a lot of machines at the checkout when you pay for things and that's how they get out info.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure there are skimmers on machines, that's why I don't use my card at the gas station or market. Where possible, I pay with cash. Only use the card to pay bills and with trusted online merchants. Yet and still, fraudsters find a way to mess with my life. They're everywhere.
DeleteI've heard there's a way to fax things from a computer, but I've never done it.
ReplyDeleteInteresting, but would likely be too much technology for me.
DeleteThe few times I've needed to fax something, I go to a FedEx Office store. Their little printer/copiers have a button to fax stuff and punch in the phone number. My old printer has a fax feature, but I never set it up. Too complicated.
ReplyDeleteI had a vendor try to put me on a subscription after buying one item. Had to cancel and change the credit card. Other than those RDIF sleeves, I then got those Guardian cards that stop hacking of credit/debit cards cuz you place the Guardian card next to your credit/debit card. Had charges put on my card about 4 years ago from those swipe as they pass by you scammers, and had to change my card then, and got refunded from the bank. That's when I put a RDIF sleeve on them.
Love the groaners. My guest room is ready if you get blown to Oz land. It was nice and warm, then dropped to 4 degrees. Wear a mask! Cooties are increasing everywhere. Linda in Kansas
Ever since I heard about scammers swiping as they pass, I've been using RDIF cards. Good to know FedEx will fax should that ever come up in future. Cooties in Kansas ... yipes but no wonder at 4 degrees.
DeleteOops. That card that sandwiches with your money cards, not just the RDIF sleeves, is called Cardian. It's the one that stops the new scammers that can get through the RDIF thingies. Happy New Year. Linda in Kansas
DeleteI'll look into it. Thanks and Happiest of New Years.
Delete