With the seniors’ Christmas Party coming up in nine days, thought I’d better make wrapping my Secret Santa/White Elephant Gift, a priority.
For the last two years, instead of shopping, picking up some item the recipient may or may not enjoy, I’ve been making it easy on myself by taping dollar bills together in a row, rolling that up, putting in a box, cutting a hole in the top of the box, adding a tab indicating "Pull" for the recipient to slowly pull dollars out, decorated the box in plain butcher paper, added colorful Christmasy ribbon, i.e., a money box.
That first year (2023), because those of us a little better off than others always bring an extra gift, so no one is left out because they didn’t purchase a gift to swap, I did a money box and, as the extra gift, a seasonal coffee mug stuffed inside a Christmas stocking.
The coffee mug went over okay, but the money box really livened the party up; except, because the gift was so plainly wrapped in butcher paper, amongst the colorful/fancy wrapped gifts, it was overlooked again and again and again, ended up being the next to the last gift on the table to be picked.
Believe you me, there were a lot of I shoulda moans and groans when the others saw what came out of that plain wrapped box. It turned out to be a lesson in perception, an all that glitters is not gold moment that carried over to the second year I did a money box (last year), because the seniors went directly for the two plain butcher paper wrapped gifts.
I don’t think anyone knows who the Secret Santa is that leaves money boxes — and I strived to keep it that way last year, and plan to do so this year as well, by arriving super early to get the gifts to the table before there are eyes around to see who put what on the table.
I did learn that because of that first-year money box, some began to think there might be a money box in last year's offerings, actively looked for it by size of box, color of wrapping paper, so I decided to switch things up this year.
Instead of cutting holes in delivery boxes this year, I purchased a packet of cute little store-bought moneyboxes.
I hid the first box inside a delivery box, wrapped the delivery box in regular Christmas paper, to confuse those again looking for butcher paper wrapped gifts.
I had planned to stuff the extra gift (also a money box) inside a Christmas Stocking.
That didn’t work out — not enough space inside for the box, so I just stuffed the stocking with the roll of dollars and pull tab, without the box.
I've been saving dollar bills last few weeks, had plenty left, so I made a third extra gift.
That one I placed in a plain shopping bag, adorned the bag with Christmas ribbon.
Will be interesting to see if the shopping bag gets overlooked, judged as probably less than, like the first year I did plain wrapped money boxes OR if someone wisely thinks "plain, probably a trick, something good inside".
Secret Santa gifts taken care of, the only Christmas Shopping left to do is a Starbucks Gift Card (sorry, Bob) for the mail lady.



Great ideas. Makes the party happy and challenging.
ReplyDeleteChallenging it will be and rowdy, as there will be some stealing involved, and those who get money boxes don't take it too well when their money is stolen, LOL.
DeleteOuch, I can imagine that could get awkward in a hot second!
DeleteOnce again, I remark on your generosity! JanF
P.S. I think you get as much fun out of this as they do!
I get even MORE fun out of seeing the reactions, than they do discovering it's money.
DeleteSounds fun and cute. Is, er, "management" part of the group getting presents? Have fun! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteThey damn well better not get a gift. Bad enough that whatever the Baker cooks, she'll invite them in for a plate.
DeleteGood for you for keeping people guessing.
ReplyDeleteTripping 'em up is going to be soooo much fun.
DeleteI think that is so creative. If we do a work gift swap like this...I'm sooooo taking your idea. Who couldn't use money??? And I imagine it's fun to watch the receiver's face roll the bills out.
ReplyDeleteAnd bravo on the wrapping. You'd been an excellent person to work in the Bloomingdales gift wrap shop in the customer service area!!!!!
Me in Bloomingdales? Don't give me any good ideas. If you do a work swap money box, will you be rolling $100 bills?
Delete$100 bills?!?!?!??! In this trump administration?!?!?! LMAO
DeleteI see you as Richy Rich, but $100's is excessive. At any rate, if you do a swap, let us know how it goes.
DeleteLove them! And now great they haven't figured you out!
ReplyDeleteWon't be fun if they ever find out. Might stalk me to see when I head for the Community Room, spy around corner to see which gifts I put on the table, LOL.
DeleteOh, you ARE a little devil! You put real thought and effort into surprising people, that's so great!
ReplyDeleteApril Fools in December, LOL.
DeleteSee, I'm the guy that would go for the plain brown paper wrapped box. I always search out the different.
ReplyDeleteMe too, but to not be disappointed in what I unwrap, I prefer to steal a gift.
DeleteI love your money box gift exchange. I may have to borrow it for the white elephant exchange I have coming up.
ReplyDeleteDo it! Will be the hit of the exchange.
DeleteI love the money box idea. I may have to borrow it for a white elephant exchange I have coming up and don't have a clue on what to give that I already own.
ReplyDeleteYou can't go wrong with a money box. Especially in this economy.
DeleteWonderful planning. You must be wealthy to afford to give all that cash away. Want my mailing address?
ReplyDeleteWere I wealthy, I'd not be living here, my friend. What might appear as wealth is simply the Law of Returns, sowing/reaping.
DeleteI'd never heard of money boxes until I read your blog! You're lucky to still have $1 paper bills -- using Canadian Loonies or Toonies would be a lot harder (i.e., our $1 and $2 coins), LOL!
ReplyDeleteLoonies ... Toonies, what funny names for money, LOL. Over here those words are slurs directed at people with mental challenges. And it's not paper loonies/toonies but coins you say? That could be quite heavy in one's pockets/purse/fanny pack. I guess if you did a money box, you'd have to up the game to whatever level of paper money that wouldn't bust your budget. Would that be $3 $4 or $5?
DeleteThat would be our $5 bill, which is blue.... our $10 are purple, $20 are green, $50 are red and $100 are brown. To use red and green bills would get very expensive in no time! And yes, having a wallet or pocket full of Loonies or Toonies gets quite heavy to lug around.
DeleteHow very interesting. Colorful money would be fun, but even the blue money would end up a very expensive money box. I did twenty 1-dollar bills per roll, that would amount to a brown worth of blues over there.
DeleteWhat a great idea! I wish this place had a community room where residents could have get togethers like this. Some of us might have fun. lol Plus I'd be able to get more pictures for my blog when everyone started fighting. lol
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't too bad last time. People expressed their aggravation after the event that so and so "took my money", but got over it, LOL.
DeleteI LOVE your Money Box idea, do you use Washi Tape? I'm thinking I might even steal that idea for the Kiddos Gift, since I usually give Cash, but the Money Box might be more Fun for them and unexpected.
ReplyDeleteNo washi. I just use regular 2-sided tape, and a money box would definitely be fun and unexpected. I guess you could tell your today's post triggered me, I got mad at my long dead ex all over again, LOL.
Delete