Friday, December 19, 2025

Don’t Hug Me, Don’t Hug Me, Don’t Hug Me

That was my mantra yesterday when, around 11:30, Crafty Lady called, said she was on her way to my unit, that she had something for me.

My first reaction was Oh Sh!t.

My second reaction was She’d better not hug me. Better not expect me to hug her.

Repeating the mantra, don’t hug me, don’t hug me, don’t hug me, willing it to be so, I began setting the scene.

First, I left the door unlocked, so I could just call out "come in" when she arrived.

Then I sat on the couch, put the laptop in my lap, as a barrier to a hug, make it look like I was working on something important …… an excuse to not stand up when she arrived.

What she brought was a t-shirt she’d purchased and personalized with a stencil.

Turns out, there was no creepiness involved. She was passing out a bunch of tees she personalized to fit the personality of each member of the "team" (the event organizers). Said that (as the photographer), I’m part of the team.

I’ll take it.

I actually liked the tee a lot, but it was way too big …… a tee I’d ordinarily wear as a night shirt; but thinking it too cute not to wear at today’s event, I pulled out the sewing machine, stitched a seam up both sides, shortened the sleeve a little, turned the tee into a fit I could live with, and paired it with Disney Nightmare Before Christmas Ears.



I was successful in getting to the Community Room before the crowd arrived this morning, hid the White Elephant Gifts (Box, Shopping Bag, Santa Stocking) under the tree without being seen and watched as my contribution was further hidden in a sea of other gifts, and later transported to a table.

There was one little snag when MAGA, true to her sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong, got herself involved in transporting gifts from under the tree to the table, made a decision to leave the Santa Stocking under the tree saying, "There's nothing in there but paper".

How does she know what is or is not hidden in the stocking?

Who died and gave her the right to make that call?

I hope I didn't blow my cover by glaring at her, saying "No it's not!".

"Oh, is there something in there? asked she.

I didn't answer, just glared; so, she picked it up, added to the table.

Stay in your lane lady. You've already annoyed, gotten into it with the Talker, I'm nearing the end with you as well, and I heard other in attendance whispering about how bossy you are.

So anyway, theme of today’s festivities was the Grinch.

Lunch was lasagna. We had Cookie Decorating — I didn’t have the patience (I think that 4 years, 4 months, 3,391 hours' project has used up my patience); a Guess the Number of Candy Canes in the jar game — I guessed 75, there were 100; a Drawing for gift bags with prizes inside — my number was not called, an Ugly Sweater Contest, the White Elephant Gift Exchange, and we even had a visit from the Grinch itself.


I’m guessing that, by disguising the money in a Box, Shopping Bag, Santa Stocking, those expecting a money box were thrown off because no money was uncovered until Player No. 6 stepped to the table, chose the Shopping Bag.


The Box wasn't chosen until Player 19, after which Player 21 chose the stocking.

Of course, there was a lot of back-and-forth good-natured stealing of the Box, Shopping Bag and Stocking, each of which reached the limit a gift can be stolen.




Seeing how my brain children were received, I was a proud mama, and even more pleased when I heard a few of the newer residents say they’d never seen anything like it at a gift exchange before.

Before all was said and done, MAGA ended up pissing off another resident.

I'd mentioned previously that those of us a little better off than others bring extra gifts for those who, for whatever reason, didn't bring a gift. No one is ever left out.

So when it got down to three people left to choose a gift, myself and Robbie and another resident, MAGA approached Robbie and said, "You didn't bring a gift. We have people that brought gifts that need to choose".

I could see Robbie getting immediately angry, but he stayed calm, said "Talk to B" (the Baker told him to get in line).

I said, "We always have extra gifts, don't worry about it", so MAGA walked away.

THEN, at the end of the event as we all began to rise, she said, "No one can leave. We have to help clean up".

I believe that's considered holding others against their will.

Of course, folks helped clean up, because that's who we are, what we do; not because MAGA said so.

I promise you, the very next time MAGA catches me outside, cries on my shoulder because she's had a tiff with anyone, I'm going to tell her why it is people stop talking when she approaches, so as to not engage with her; walk the other direction when they see her coming.

Oh, and P.S. Ernie made an appearance at the door. He didn't come in, just stood their making goo goo eyes at me. I was busy, didn't acknowledge him, so he went away.

34 comments:

  1. You are so creative... and kind, despite the hilarious T-shirt (that you made chic). And you survived the day without any unwanted hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That t-shirt is PERFECT for you and you accessorized it so well with those leggings, boots and headband! Great look! Glad your money boxes were such big hits again this year -- enjoyed watching all your videos of the happy recipients! It's a fab Xmas party that the residents put on and I must say, that is one SASSY Grinch who made an appearance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw all those boobs walk through the door, knew the Grinch was female, LOL. Turns out to be a 17-year-old friend of Crafty Lady.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you have the skills and were able to alter the tee shirt so your could wear it to the event!
    Have you considered that maybe you could choose one of your money gifts for yourself - thus throwing anyone off the idea that you are the provider, it would be "stolen" anyway so someone else would end up with the $$ ?
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a GREAT idea! I may have to do it next time because MAGA is asking around as to "who brought the money?".

      Delete
  4. It sounds like your white elephant gifts were such a success. I admit I have never heard of anyone doing something similar. Once again, you're an original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I'd thought of money boxes years ago. Lots easier than shopping for something a recipient may or may not like.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun day, except for MAGA, and without a hug in sight!!
    I love how the money boxes are such a big hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be pressed as to how disguise them next year. For sure, I can't use a Santa Stocking again because, though the stocking was overlooked multiple times, they'll know better next year, will be looking for it.

      Delete
  6. Smart thinking on your part to tailor the shirt to fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky in that I had planned to put the machine in the shop a few days ago for cleaning and oiling but had not yet gotten around to it. Maybe I'll wait until after the holidays before taking it in ... just in case.

      Delete
  7. That looked like a fun Xmas party and your money boxes were a huge hit! Poor Ernie... looks like he won't get his 12 hugs of Christmas, LOL! MAGA was the real Grinch though: too bad she didn't get coal or shellacked dog shit in her mystery gift (nobody would steal that from her, LOL!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is wrong with donald two dolls supporters ... why can't they mind their own business? Why must they be so aggravating? Asking for a friend.

      Delete
    2. If brains were dynamite, MAGA cultists/supporters wouldn't have enough to blow their ears off.... and they firmly believe they have the right to tell other people how to live. I admire your reserve in dealing with her as I'd have been hard-pressed not to slap the smug off her face, LOL!

      Delete
    3. Believe you me, it's taking a lot of effort to "reserve" myself in dealing with her. I fear I won't be able to hold myself back if there is a next time.

      Delete
  8. I don't know why people have to act like MAGA does.
    Looks and sounds like a good party and people had fun so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great party. There was something for everyone. Even management came in to get their photo with the Grinch.

      Delete
  9. Oh you're having a very merry Christmas over there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It certainly hasn't been a dull holiday season.

      Delete
  10. Your idea of having a few 'extra' gifts so those residents having difficult times can participate without embarrassment is kind at a time when that is so lacking in our world. Thank you.

    Will Jay

    PS Perhaps putting the cash in clean, unused dog poop bags next year will throw them off the trail? Maybe use the technique that a former co-worker of mine used which was to slip cash inside a box of something else - she moonlighted at Lowes, so she used a box of nails. I was happy with the box of nails - I needed to repair a fence - but she prodded me to open the box.So, maybe a wrapped box of dog poop bags next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unused dog poop bags is devious, LOL. But you've given me the idea to save unusual boxes/containers during the year.

      Delete
  11. the money boxes are fabulous!!!! I am going to steal your idea for next year. I can see how those are the most popular!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do them for birthdays and graduations as well.

      Delete
    2. That's always one in very group, isn't there.

      Delete
    3. Misadventure, if you mean an annoying human, then yes always one. But our supporter of the idiot in chief, our MAGA woman has bumped up being an annoyance to the fifth power.

      Delete
  12. "I'm going to tell her why it is people stop talking when she approaches..."
    It sounds like she is clueless and wouldn't understand what you were trying to tell her anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being clueless seems to go along with being a trumpster.

      Delete
  13. Hello Miss Shirley. I am trying to make a money box ( borrowing your wonderful idea) and need to know how you attached the money together. I was going to tape it but wasn't sure if I should. Thank you.
    SE Ohio blog reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I made my first one, I used Scotch Magic Tape and taped the bills crosswise to each other, so wouldn't come apart when pulled. I found Magic Tape could be peeled off by the recipient without damaging the dollar bills. By the time I began making money boxes for the second year, I'd learn about Money Box Transparent Bags. I prefer bags now, but Magic Tape will work in a pinch. Good Luck!

      Delete
  14. Love the money box idea. I am going to do that next year, as I have a few secret santas near Christmas. We don't swap once we get our present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll work. A present is a present, and when its money, not likely to be disliked and regifted, LOL.

      Delete
  15. Love the T-Shirt Gift and how you modified it coz it looked Great GF. Sounds like a big time was had by all in spite of MAGA, those type are so annoying and don't tend to 'get it'. The Money Thing was such a good Idea I stole it and put lots of smaller Bills in Gift Tins for The Family and I'm sure it will be a big hit, right size, right color, smaller Bills made it appear bigger than it could be due to circumstance this Year... I think everyone will Laugh that it looks like Stripper Money. *Winks* I'll tell them I hadda spend a lot of Time Working that Pole to fill all those Tins. *Bwahahahaha*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like we've got a trend going with money boxes for Christmas. You put a whole new spin on it with the stripper money effect, LOL. As for MAGA, she probably thinks her politics is the problem. Wrong. It's her personality. No one cares about her politics. If she wants to be stupid, have at it, just stop putting your nose where it doesn't belong.

      Delete