Thursday, December 25, 2025

After the Storm

Woke up Christmas Eve to rain and flash flood warnings that extended well past midnight.

A rough day for Santa to begin his run, and for last minute shoppers, thought I.

Unlike some areas, we were lucky ... did not lose power. A Christmas Miracle considering some areas flooded, experienced mudslides, eleven inches of rain and, sadly, loss of lives.

Taking advantage of a Christmas Day break in the rain, I headed out to drop off trash today, pick up mail.

Just as I began to exit the mail area, I saw Ernie and his son heading down the walkway, walking the dog.

I quickly stepped back into the mail area.

Me hiding in the mailroom

Waiting for the coast to clear

Replying to a comment by Jan F about having socks like Holly the Elf .... Here they are Jan.


I spent the remainder of the day lounging around, snacking on popcorn sprinkled with dried seaweed (try it, you’ll like it), wearing those socks. Dinner will be two of my self-made tamales.

At one point, I glanced out the patio window, marveled at how beautiful the clouds looked after the storm.


By 3:00 in the afternoon, outside once again began looking dark and gloomy. I expect another bout of rain, which means it will be a while before everything dries, and I can put Christmas back to bed.

18 comments:

  1. Glad you're okay and didn't lose power. I just heard about the Southern California flooding on the suppertime news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always something, but I love living in California.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas! Love the socks. I'd read about all of the flooding. It was a rare warm 62 degrees today in K.C. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flash floods are not fun. I got caught in one once. Fortunately, I was two blocks from the complex but still had to come to a complete stop in traffic, as I was completely blinded by the tons of water raining down on the car, and pray that a car didn't come out of nowhere and hit me. Socks are one of my things. I even have toe socks from back in the day. Remember them?

      Delete
  3. Have been reading and seeing videos of the storms and flooding, and wondered how you were faring. Those rocks are an accident waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good for us. It's still wet weather, but crossing my fingers, knocking on wood, no power outages.

      Delete
  4. I think you need a shirt that read No Hugs I'm Still Contagious!
    I'm not promising, but I may try that popcorn concoction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A t-shirt sign doesn't keep Ernie off. I'll just have to wait for the end of cupping season, when he'll calm down, LOL. Let me know how you like the sushi popcorn.

      Delete
  5. I love the socks. Wishing you and your family a happy, healthy and peaceful Christmas and all the very best for 2026.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for wearing and sharing those socks! They look comfortable, warm and cosy! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're OK! The flash flooding and mudslides are horrific and I wondered if you were affected by them. We've had 4 blizzards and -40 temperatures already and it's not even January yet, LOL! I wish these atmospheric rivers would wash away the Orange Turd and all his minions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flash floods hit us, but the mudslides were in the mountain areas where I never go. I can't imagine blizzards being much fun, and way worse than flashfloods.

      Delete
  8. I wish I had a pair of socks like that! The new rocks look good, excite it appears some of them have drifted onto the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My area is on a slope, so rocks are bound to slide off. It's all good, so long as I'm not the one to trip and fall on the rocks.

      Delete
  9. Oh, and I wanted to say that I've been concerned for you, considering all the flooding and landslide news coming out of your county. But I was comforted by the thought that you are on the second floor and San Bernardino County is a huge county.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Donnie Two Dolls is loving Gavin's territory being under a state of emergency. I dodged it all, stayed indoors.

      Delete