Saturday, March 4, 2023

I’m Not Built for This


It’s not raining outside, it’s not snowing, but it’s too icy to be outside walking without risk of catching cold.

I’m not built for this kind of weather.

That one day of snow was tons of fun and I wouldn’t mind more snow but, truth be told, I am a warm weather California type, not built for this depth of cold.

Just the few minutes I've been outside in the last week or so, has left me with the sniffles, coughing, sore throat and an earache.

If I’m not mistaken, coughing and a sore throat are signs of Covid. So, of course, I freaked out a little until I realized I haven’t lost my sense of taste.

At any rate, not wanting to risk getting full blown sick, I’ll be spending the weekend indoors.

On Monday, as I was getting dressed for that morning’s workout, checking to see how bad getting to the Pain Cave was going to be, I found outside was raining and snowing at the same time or had snowed during the night, and the rain was washing it away.


Leaving the Pain Cave, snow and rain turned to simultaneous hail and rain.

It's beginning to feel like the end of the world as we know it, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Folks a few miles away in the Crestline and Big Bear area are in a dire situation — snowed in, running out of food and propane.

I heard one guy on the news say he made it out of the area (drove) to get his wife’s diabetic medicine, but now can’t get back up the mountain.

My Dr. Spock common sense logic thought him a stupid arse, because ... able to finally make it down the mountain, why did he not take that as an opportunity to evacuate the area with his wife in tow.

People get attached to material things, don’t want to leave their home and possessions behind and, looking at the "Help" sign some residents stranded on the mountain have written in the snow, I can’t but wonder why they don’t just hike outta there for the time being?


BTW, the patio in the first video — the one that the rain had not yet washed away its snow, is the bad energy unit the new tenant just moved into.

First impression is that inasmuch as the new guy is keeping a low profile, has not been out and about since he moved in, he's the quiet introverted type, not going to be providing much blog fodder.

On the other hand, perhaps he's not been seen out and about because whatever is in that unit has already dragged him into whatever portal it comes from.

20 comments:

  1. Being in a place where we don't have bad Winter weather, hurricanes, earthquakes or tornadoes is one of the reasons I stay in Vegas. We do have hot hot Summers but I can deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up until now, hot hot Summers, earthquakes and fires was all we had to deal with. This cold weather is new to us.

      Delete
  2. Your last line made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I knew you'd get it in the spirit it was intended.

      Delete
  3. We get snow every so often here in Camden, and everything shuts down because of it; but it usually doesn't last long and we're back to something bearable again quite soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we get this kind of cold often enough, I think my body will adjust to it. Right now, it's like a shock to my system, which is accustomed to much warmer weather and definitely a shock to those in the mountain top communities who are not accustomed to and did not prepare for this much and for such a long period.

      Delete
  4. Your opening video and your last line are like something out of an end of the world movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been the most non-winter we've had in a long time. It's 60 degrees here in St. Louis. It's going to dip down this week but not for long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for the people stranded in the high Sierras. Those are scary snow totals. I am so looking forward to spring. Stay warm and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we get a Spring. At this point, I'm thinking the Ice Age is coming back.

      Delete
  7. I hear you with this cold weather...if I wanted to live in cold weather, I would move to Colorado!

    I would love to live in San Diego (I really have no desire to leave California) but cannot afford to do so. I will stay in the San Joaquin Valley where our winters are usually much milder than this year. Our summers are hot and seem to be getting hotter, but I can handle heat. Like you, the cold just makes me miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about San Diego. I was miserable on a number of fronts when I lived there, one being the weather. We'd get three different seasons in one day every day. And yes, SD is uber expensive now.

      Delete
  8. You'll need a parka and toque soon 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up "toque" but you're right. I've already been thinking about probably needing warmer clothes.

      Delete
  9. That's a freaky combination of snow and spitting rain. You're getting cold didn't give you your medical crud you know. You caught a bug somewhere. Not all people get all symptoms of covid, so it's best to use one of those self-test kits at home first. If positive, then your should go to the doc or urgent care, calling ahead of time, to be tested for covid and flus. Drink lots of fluid! RSV is supposedly going around the country and not just with kids. I got whatever crud my patient's 3 little runny-nosed cousins have, was off 7 days, can now breath through my nose again. I wear my 3-layer mask at work at all times, and my N95 when out of my apartment or car. No use two people trudging in the snow, and the diabetic person may not be able to walk well in good weather. If you want some good snow gear, try L.L.Bean for jackets and boots. They run a little smaller than listed, but they last forever. My knee-high snow boots look new, I've had them 40 years. Drink more water! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cali doesn't need Cold Weather as a catastrophic pattern... you all had enough with what is typical there... Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by now you've probably heard, now that some of the digging out has begun, 12 souls didn't survive.

      Delete