Thursday, October 31, 2019

Happy Halloween???

Having awakened to the smell of smoke and news of a new fire in the area, only time will tell if this is going to be a Happy Halloween.
I don't remember hearing sirens or helicopters during the night, but the Hillside fire is only 1.5 miles away (thus the smell of smoke inside) ─ over by the Dog Park, a Starbucks, the Golf Course and the school where a husband walked into the classroom and killed his wife last year/year before.
The Archeologist lives smack dab in the middle of that area.
Having just run into her at the market two days ago, I know it’s just she and the kids, as her husband is out of town on business.
Checking Facebook for her status, I learned she’d been impacted in a big way.



Hopefully her home is intact when she's allowed to return.
With the University having been closed two/three days in a row, the Archeologist evacuated, I decided to take no chances at the fire spreading and jumping this way, or power being cut so, instead of dilly dallying around this morning, I quickly got myself fed, bathed and dressed ─ in my Bat Woman outfit from the recent 5K because, if our luck holds out here at the complex ... if the day continues to be business as usual for us, directly after working out in the pain cave, I’ll be heading to the Community Room for the costume contest party.
Silly as it seems, I also made the bed and straightened up things in the unit ─ all the while asking myself why I was hurrying to do so because, if we ended up in danger, how put together this unit is will not much matter, especially if it burns.
It’s always bad around here during fire season, but this season is the worst ... crazy scary.
On another note, a less scary note, Mildred posted a clip from Witches of Eastwick, saying Jack Nicholson always gets her in that scene and asked readers to “Post a Movie Scene” that gets them.
For me, it’s a scene from The Closer, where Deputy Chief Brenda Lee Johnson has been ordered to humiliate herself by apologizing to three higher ups for having embarrassed them by being better at her job than they were at theirs.
Is it weird that I long ago recorded that scene and keep it on my cellphone? 


1 comment:

  1. Well I'm glad the Fires didn't wreck the Celebrations and that people were finally allowed safely back inside their Homes. I just don't even know how I'd respond to a forced evacuation... the comment about it getting real when you have to leave the house without a Bra on was Gallow's Humor about something very terrifying and serious. I'm so glad she and the Children got out safely and were able to return safely.

    ReplyDelete