Sunday, October 27, 2019

Endorphin Less

Saturday’s 5k was not the endorphin high I usually get. Instead, I arrived back at the complex sore all over and completely drained of energy.
Not sure if it was the heat or the boredom.
Few were in attendance.

I reasoned the poor attendance on this being an inaugural event, mostly known about by friends/family of firefighters and first responders. The organizers were dependent on word getting out to “grow the event”, but it was not advertised through the regular channels (I myself learned of it last minute, and only because I happened to drive up on the electronic sign).
And, because of the fires, though there were some firefighters/first responders representing, those the organizers had depended upon to populate the 5k were out battling the flames.





So, there were few in attendance ... it was a little too hot/humid ... and then there was the course ─ six times around a circular path with nothing to see. It was boring, like watching Nascar with feet instead of cars, and I couldn't just slow down, try to stroll and enjoy the walk while  listening to music on the iPod, because us walkers were being paced around the course by a group of full geared flag carrying firefighters leading the charge.
I did feel for those in gear, no doubt using the event to condition themselves to the rigors of the job. There were a few who actually ran, with either a pack on their back or in gear.



No medals at the finish line, but we were encourage to keep the badge of the 9/11 fallen hero included in our packet and to read his story.

My badge was Eugene Whelan.



The race was on the "honor system" … not timed, not monitored; and I don’t know if it was this “honor system”, the heat, the boredom or the fact there was no medal at the end, but I saw participants up ahead opting to not finish. They left the course. At one point, I turned around and found those behind me had also dropped out, leaving me to finish last in line behind our pacers.
Oh well. The organizers described the event as “an experience”, and it was that ... a boring experience!
No disrespect to fallen heroes, but not my kind of thing.

8 comments:

  1. Did they give you Eugene's actual badge? I was thinking those would have been given to the families and assumed you'd be walking with replicas. That's a nice thing to have anyway. I did wonder about the firefighters all being called away. Good for you to stick it out.
    So evidently thus far you are O.K. and still have power. I checked in this morning just to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not the actual but a replica and yes, a very nice thing to have. Nothing further from the utility company about being on standby for a shut off, even though the winds have not yet died down. Keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for doing it. Can you tell the organizers how boring it was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they said they were going to send us surveys as to how they did what could be done better. Trust me, I'll be responding to the survey. I understand why the event was somber, but boring to the point where participants left the course is bad.

      Delete
  3. Be careful about how much advice you give them. You might wind up in charge of everything next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. The organizers already indicated a need for volunteers, but I've spent far too much of my life doing for others. Now it's all about me. LOL.

      Delete
  4. Well, at least you participated, it would have been dismal if nobody showed up. In spite of the boredom it sounded as tho' you got a good workout from it hence the soreness? The Fires in Cali are being covered on the News and it look Apocalyptic and terrifying, so many being evacuated, huge staggering numbers of displaced people, I can't even Imagine the Horror of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well maybe the timing was off because of the local fires pulling firefighters away or maybe just wasn't advertised/organized well enough. I agree with Bohemian, it would have been even more dismal if you and the few others hadn't shown up.

    ReplyDelete