Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Covert Reconnaissance

Needing an activity, other than indoor biking or walking, for the days not with Trainer, I’ve been looking around and learned last week that the senior center is offering Jazzercise Lo.
I always wanted to try jazzercise, but that was years ago. Focusing on raising my twins and other life priorities got in the way and I never had the time to do the things I wanted to do.
Now that I’ve got the time, even though I’m stronger and more energetic due to pain cave training, I’m not sure my stamina is up to jazzercise. So tomorrow I’m taking a drive over to the center to spy on the class now in session.
If it looks like something I can handle, I’ll sign up for the July session.
Walking into the pain cave this morning, I was a little apprehensive that I’d be facing a disappointed and accusatory Trainer — disappointed at wasting $5.00 on those scratch off tickets and accusatory that I was the author of that. On top of which, I’d ruined the circus for him.
Thank goodness the news was good. He hit on all five scratch offs, turning $5.00 into $21.
I jokingly said, “Okay, let’s see … ten percent of twenty-one is?"
He laughed and said he told his wife, “This is what we’re going to do. We’re $16 ahead, so we’ll take that and buy more tickets. When we win on those, we’ll turn that over into more tickets.”
“Don’t get too carried away”, said I.
“I can quit whenever I want”, says he.
LOL.
And it’s not just him bitten by the gambling bug, it’s his wife as well.
She asked him, “Who sold you the tickets?” And when he said it was the liquor store owner’s wife, his wife said, “Only buy tickets when she’s on the counter”.
I’m assuming Trainer's wife feels the store owner’s wife is their lucky charm.
We’ll see how it goes.
As for ruining the circus, when Trainer on Monday excitedly said he had plans to go to the circus for the first time in his life, my reaction was to say it would break his heart.
“Why?” asked he.
It was a lengthy back and forth conversation, as I was working with equipment, the gist of which is that it will make him sad because he’ll see the pain in the eyes of the animals, meant to be free and roaming, being in cages, treated as toys, entertainment, slaves. And to his saying the animals are accustomed to it, don’t know any different, I’d said there is something inside that, no matter what the world and others try to make you become, you know it’s not right, it’s not who you are or what you are to be doing, and that is why the animals sometime go crazy and attack.
It was a deep conversation at the end of which Trainer said he saw my point and that I’d ruined the circus for him.
Sorry, not sorry, but I'm glad winning on those scratch offs made him forget my ruining his excitement about the circus.

3 comments:

  1. Shirley, You are a woman of substance and depth and I applaud you.
    I quote:
    It was a lengthy back and forth conversation, as I was working with equipment, the gist of which is that it will make him sad because he’ll see the pain in the eyes of the animals, meant to be free and roaming, being in cages, treated as toys, entertainment, slaves. And to his saying the animals are accustomed to it, don’t know any different, I’d said there is something inside that, no matter what the world and others try to make you become, you know it’s not right, it’s not who you are or what you are to be doing,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in agreement about Animals not being Toys and prefer a Zoo to a Circus. The Zoo near us is a breeding Zoo to preserve endangered Species and the Animals are often brought back from the brink of extinction in the Wild. Unfortunately some Wild Creatures have lost so much Natural Habitat that if it were not for conservation in Wildlife Parks and Zoos they might no longer be with us. A shame that Man cannot live in better Harmony with all of God's Creatures... but as a Species we're a Greedy and dominating bunch aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love playing the lottery. I played a lot when I worked as we would all chip in and buy several tickets. I never won much but I got more joy on how I would spend my earnings. I dreamed of big purchases or big savings. I dreamed of forming charities and non-profits. I dreamed of so many things and was always surprised that I didn't win (I always thought surely this time) but didn't mind the couple of dollars I lost for all the daydreams it bought me.

    ReplyDelete