Friday, April 19, 2019

Good Friday It Was Not!

Arriving early for this morning’s dental procedure, the plan was to calm myself by meditating in the car before heading in. However, seeing a crowd at the end of the road, thinking it was a Farmer’s Market, I parked, walked over.


Definitely not a Farmer’s Market. Instead, it was a “Turn Back” abortion protest at the Planned Parenthood building.
I didn’t know people still did that sort of thing.
The posters they held up as they chanted and prayed were something out of nightmares, so one glance had me heading back to check in at the dental office. 
Speaking of nightmares, the procedure was not fun and, just when I made it through, thinking it was over, glad it was over, that I’d put it behind me, Mc Dreamy said, “I’ll turn you over to Jenny and see you in two weeks”.
“WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU’LL SEE ME IN TWO WEEKS !!!!”
“Jenny will put in a temporary”.
“WHAT?! WHY?!”
“The lab has to make the permanent”.
%#!$!
“The next part should be easy. No needle”.
I had no idea this was a two-stage process. 
In fact, I don’t remember ever having a cap done in the first place, and the putting in of a temporary (in my previous dentist's office), returning two weeks later for a permanent, is something I'm not likely to forget. I’ve had fillings where they slap in some metal and you’re outta there, but they are assuring me it was a cap not a filling, and at one time I must have experienced this before.
It must have been in another life, or I was so traumatized I'd pushed it out of my memory bank, but whatever. I'm just hoping nothing else goes wrong because I can’t go through this again.
By early afternoon, my jaw hurt. I was in tears, and I'm a person that never cries. 
By late afternoon, the pain had subsided and it was business as usual.
I skipped today’s Pain Cave activity homework. My poor body had suffered enough trauma for one day.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes--you do have bad reactions to dental work. No wonder you hate to go to the dentist. I've had so many root canals and crowns that it all seems fairly easy to me. They do the temporary, which mine usually falls off because I use my teeth, a lot, and then call me when the permanent, porcelain crown comes in.

    Years ago, before technology, I had to make the trip to the ceramist before the crown was cast, so as to get the color just right. I have unusual teeth color--more blue than most. Now, they use PhotoShop to get the color matched perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was no exaggeration when I said I have a zero pain threshold. Can't EVEN imagine having a root canal.

      Delete
    2. Actually, root canals are kind of nice in that you don't have one unless you are in severe pain, and when they pull out that nerve, there is no more pain. It is such relief.

      Delete
  2. I remember it being a two part process. I also seen to remember that there was just the normal denistry discomfort and no shot. You have my sympathy. I just hate dental work in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took three, count 'em, THREE shots before I was numb and I still felt the occasional discomfort as they drilled out the old whatchamacallit.

      Delete
    2. My husband has to get more than one shot when he has serious dental work.

      Delete