Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Size Doesn’t Matter

I was puzzled by comments made by the neighbor who parks to the right of me in the carport and drives a big old gas guzzler.
“What happened to your car?” she asked the day before yesterday when she caught me exiting the Jeep.
“It’s over there (indicating Guest Parking where I’d put the Saturn until I could turn over to grandbaby). I’m giving it to my granddaughter”.
“So, you bought this? Why so small? You want to have something you’re comfortable in”.
What does that mean?
Was she trying to throw shade, dis my horse, trying to infer it’s more like my little pony instead?
My first choice was the four-door Wrangler but, seeing it in person on the lot was terrifying. It’s HUGE and the thought of driving something that big scared me. The two-door was too small but, when daughter and I spotted the Trailhawk, the size looked just right, manageable and, on the test drive, I felt comfortable and anxiety free.
I didn’t realize the Trailhawk was smaller than the Saturn until I turned into my parking spot and saw it positioned in the carport but, it’s not as small as neighbor was inferring.
“There’s plenty room in the front. It’s a little tight in the back, but how often do I have a back-seat passenger (that would be never). Besides, I’m older now and need less” I replied to justify the purchase.
“Well, it’s cute”, she gave me.
One of the bonuses of the Trailhawk is that it looks so much like the Saturn that I thought it being a new car would not be noticed.
How naïve was I.
It’s being noticed.
At any rate, talk about driving scared, waking up this morning to pouring down rain, facing an hour and a half drive to Newport Beach to deliver the Saturn to granddaughter, I began begging the Universe to please stop the rain because the long drive was bad enough without having to worry about how people drive so carelessly in the rain.
The Universe heard my plea and the rain stopped around 8:00.
Very first time in the Newport Beach area and, since the drive was so long, would have liked to rest a bit, check things out. Instead, it was a quick turnaround. I pulled up to granddaughter’s place, she jumped in the driver’s seat, drove us an hour and a half back to my area for an appointment with Redlands DMV, where I signed the pink slip, she registered the Saturn, dropped me off back at the complex, and went on with her life.
Granddaughter driving me around was surreal, not just because she drives fast and a little crazy, weaving in and out of lanes, but because of all those years with me driving her around, here she was, as all grown up, driving a car, with me as her passenger.
 
I made the doll sitting next to her.


Surreal.
And because of how she drives, the one and only time I’ll be passenger in a vehicle with her behind the wheel.

2 comments:

  1. Hope she takes good care of that car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too and was worried about that until she told me the resident, whose unit she entered and rescued his dog, when a tenant tried to commit suicide by setting fire to the place, the dad of the dog she saved is a mechanic, has his own business, and is so grateful he'll provide oil changes for free, other maintenance work at discount.

      Delete