Friday, July 28, 2017

Kicking Asphalt

This morning’s 3.23-mile Ontario Mills Mall walk took care of the first in the hashtag series -- #Kicking Asphalt.
It also got me very close to leveling up from a 24 Pokémon Trainer to 25, as I banked needed extra points by capturing two new guys.


Because he evaded capture by swinging his body away from the balls, taunted me with pirouette turns I had to pause the fitbit to capture Sudowoodo; and, at one point, he actually caught the ball I threw. I was so surprised at this unexpected move that, for a second I froze -- thinking he might throw it back.
I should have screen captured the moment, because I didn’t think anyone would believe me, but was so intent on a capture -- before he decided to run away, that I failed to do so, but I did eventually capture.
Not under any pressure of time to finish, I took my time walking -- hit up PokéStops, played Pokémon, even stopped to take a photo of a weird outfit in the Ashley Fox window.


None of the stores were open and the Kiosks were tented up; so, for about an hour, the mall was just us walkers and guys lounging in seating areas, battling in the mall’s virtual Pokémon Gyms.
About the time stores began to open, shoppers began flooding in, I was about done and had slowed to gather Pokéballs in the area of Starbucks. A middle-aged gentleman passing by, with what looked to be his adult son, smiled and said, “Getting your morning exercise I see”.
“Yes, and playing Pokémon while I do so”.
His son began laughing at that, and the middle-aged man – who was quite handsome I might add, said “And may I say you’re looking good while doing it”.
In my head, I was flirty and said, “Oh yes, you certainly may say that”. But what came out of my mouth was, “Oh, thank you” as I quickly moved on.
Chicken?
Yes, you can say that, but I did appreciate the compliment.
Stopping at the market near the complex, getting out of the car, I heard sirens. Thinking it was fire and rescue heading for my building, I paused to see and, sure enough, I could see them turn into the driveway from where I was standing. Then came an ambulance.
Checking into the Community Room I learned one of our regulars had been seen acting strangely – walking around the complex aimlessly, and without her dog Jose, whom she is never without. Later, she was sitting in the Community Room, someone went over, put their arms around her, gave her a hug and, when the woman released her, she fell out of the chair, head hitting edge of table, and was out. Residents in the Community Room called 911.
I’m not necessarily a pet person, but my first concern was for her dog. I didn’t see Jose in the room, she’s never without him, so I asked, “Where’s her dog?”
No one knew and, since she was observed earlier without him, they asked for a welfare check to see if he’s in her unit, is okay and, if so, will be asking a neighbor to keep him until his mom’s status is known.

No comments:

Post a Comment