Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Happy Birthday America


The original plan for today was to celebrate the 4th in Long Beach – drive up on the 1st, suit up in those patriotic leggings I made back in 2014 and participate in America the Beautiful Beach 5k on the 2nd, layover to attend a family event on the 4th, return afternoon of the 5th.
That was the plan, but then that summons -- to appear for jury duty on the 5th, threw a monkey wrench in the plan and, by the time I’d figured out how to get out of jury duty, I’d taken the summons as a sign and lost interest in Long Beach, that 5K and family.
No idea what the seniors are up to today.
No one signed up for the BBQ scheduled for the 2nd. That doesn’t mean the folks didn’t get together yet and still, but that was World UFO 10K Day, so I never made it down to check.
Some of the residents that didn’t leave the complex today, to spend the 4th with family, may do something impromptu in the Community Room. But, I find I’m not feeling all that social or patriotic under the current political climate, so the plan for today is laundry, logging in a few more miles to reach the required 39.8 for the San Francisco Challenge and, if I’m not too exhausted after all that, to shampoo the carpet.
Even though I don’t generate a lot of dirty laundry, having to go down to the laundry room is my least favorite chore. Doing laundry is such a pain that sometimes I go out and purchase more sheets, towels, undies, just to put the dreaded chore off.
Hopefully, the other residents are otherwise occupied in celebrating today, and I have the laundry room to myself. If relocating end of year is in my future, I’ll be looking for a unit with a washer/dryer hookup.
I finished the needlepoint landscape yesterday.
A lot of embellishments went into the project at the end stage -- french knots, back stitching, cording, all of which brought the project to life.


Even though it’s now more pleasing to me, I’m not proud because I could have done a better job of pressing and stretching.
Since I’m not keeping it for myself -- because I don’t really care for landscapes, I figured The Seer and visitors to her unit probably wouldn’t know the canvas was not as taut as it should be. But the perfectionist in me is feeling so guilty about the wrinkles that I’ll undo the backing, press, stretch and make it right.
FYI, due to something weird going on in blogger, comments have been disabled, but I’ll see you around and leave comments on your posts.