Friday, January 27, 2017

Epic Fail

In what universe does it turn out well in following directions to build a bike, but turn out so poorly in baking pre-portioned refrigerated cookie dough?

Evidently in the universe of my kitchen because, though the Trader Joe’s Ginger Molasses Cookies came out of the oven looking as they should.




The flip side was a little too toasty – burnt even.




Fortunately, I’d only baked half because I wanted the cookies to have room to properly spread.

I’d followed the directions as to temperature and bake time, so your guess is as good as mine as to why the epic fail.

I still had the other six pre-portioned dough balls, gave baking another go and, with the timer still set for 12 minutes, took them out of the oven just before the timer went off.




They were close to burning yet again, but good enough to serve, so off I went to the Community Room alerting those present there were only six cookies, because I burned the rest.

Not proud of my contribution, I didn’t stick around but, after a run by Starbucks and the market, I popped in and found all six cookies eaten and no one looking ill or disgusted by the taste, so I guess they went over okay.

As I’d expected, attendance wasn’t all that great -- a little over a dozen residents and, except for the cookies I provided and a dozen or so The Baker provided, cookies were store-bought, provided by the Activity Director.

Topic of conversation was the high wind. Winds blowing so hard that items are flying off patios.

Heading back to my unit cookie-less, as nothing tempted me, I noticed the wind had left a tidy mess of leaves for the pool cleaners. Then I saw what looked to be a rather large shadow at the far end of the pool.




Are my eyes paying tricks on me?

Upon closer inspections, it wasn’t a trick of the eyes, it was two of the patio chairs, picked up and tossed into the pool by the wind.




Pool cleaners are going to have their work cut out for them.

2 comments:

  1. Every oven is different. You have to learn your own oven's temperamental nature. Mine must be preheated thoroughly to do well, but it runs about right for temps. The oven at the San Francisco apartment ran really hot. I always had to set the thermostat 10 degrees less than called for. As for cookies, it also depends on the type of pan you are using. A dark cookie sheet will create a darker bottom because it gets hotter. I always bake cookies for 10 minutes or less, no matter what the recipe says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. For experimental purposes, guess I'll have to bake more cookies :-)

      Delete