Saturday, October 1, 2016

Happy 1st of Halloween

What to do this first day of my favorite month?

I was undecided as to whether I’d drive out-of-the-area to Trader Joe’s, as I’m getting low on their Everyday Seasoning or, expecting a cool down in the weather, head to the University for more PokéBalls, Great Balls and Razz Berries, or sit on the couch working on that needlepoint project while trying to catch up on recorded television programs.

Always on the Go now -- less television, more walking, I'm so far behind on my usual programs that it's time to pick and choose just a few and let the others go. Survivor is a keeper, Hell's Kitchen and Project Runway as well, going to have to drop Blindspot, How to Get Away with Murder, Lucifer, Empire and Blacklist.

At any rate, leaning towards vegging out on the couch today, but knowing I’ve got 25 miles to go to reach the goal of 100 miles by year’s end, and only three months to get ‘er done, I decided to suit up in walking gear.

That’s a little trick I play with myself when feeling lazy. I suit up as encouragement to get out and go. Sometimes it works, I’d get up and out; sometimes that step left me exhausted, which led me -- in full walking gear to sit on the couch for a second to catch my breath, which led me to pick up whatever needlepoint project was currently in process, then to get involved in some television program, and eventually removing the gear and vegging out all day.

After suiting up this morning, I was still leaning towards the couch when the cellphone went “ding”. It was granddaughter asking for a ride to take care of an errand.

Dropping granddaughter off at her apartment an hour or so later, even though it felt hotter than the 80° I was expecting, and even though it was way later than I’m usually on campus, I headed to the University.

If the Archaeologist had been there, she was long gone by the time I arrived, and I did not run into the Dumpster Diving Neighbor, even though I’d seen her at the bus stop heading in that direction when out and about with granddaughter.

While logging in 1.47 miles on campus, I ran into “Kids that Code”, a class for Grades 3 to 8 children, where they learn computer programming/game development.

Now that’s a class I wouldn’t mind taking, thought I. But not with adults, which math concepts and critical thinking would be too much for me, but along with the kids, where I might have a fighting chance of grasping concepts.

I also ran into a group of sorority girls.




The popular girls, thought I, as they were all quite beautiful -- tall, slim, dressed the same, faces looking like carbon copies of each other.

That time the Archaeologist let me know she was heading to campus, and I replied I’d just left, she was there with her whole family and posted to Facebook she'd observed differing groups of sorority girls taking pictures, walking around, some with elaborate signs and letters. Her five year old daughter wanted to know what they were doing so she tried to explain what a sorority was … that each group had a color and certain letters that they used.

The daughter then said, "Oh it's a girl gang!!"

Out of the mouth of babes, as I imagined it would seem like a girl gang if you weren't beautiful and tried to get into this sorority.

5 comments:

  1. Discovered you via DZody. Liked your comment there and thought I would check you out as you seem to have been down a similar path to me in your life. Fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard. Glad you found your way to my little slice of the web.

      Delete
  2. Those girl gangs! My gosh, that photo you posted--reminds me of Stepford Wives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great entry. Yes, they all look sooooooooo alike. LOL

    ReplyDelete