Friday, October 21, 2016

Halloween Potluck Brunch

I’d been careful, during the week, to make sure I had every item in stock that I’d need for the deviled eggs.

Sugar, check.

Pickle Relish, check.

Mayonnaise, no. So I picked a jar up at the grocery store.

After boiling and peeling eggs last night, I prepared for this morning's work by pulling out the Ree Drummond recipe, and  couldn’t believe it when I saw it called for yellow mustard. I had jalapeno mustard, djon mustard but no yellow.

Probably could have used one of those but, not confident of my cooking skills, I didn’t want to mess with the recipe.

Up at 5:10, I waited for the sun to rise so I could head to the market at 6:30 for yellow mustard.

After all was said and done …




Finished with the eggs at 9:10, I put on the Pokémon Trainer outfit, wasn’t happy with how lumpy it made me look so, at the last minute, I switched to the Minion outfit ONLY I could not find my Minion glasses.

Odd, because I’m very organized insofar as my costumes -- every item that goes with a costume is hung in a bag with that costume. I looked high and low, but no glasses -- and the glasses make the costume.

At any rate, I made it down to the event only 10 minutes late and need not have worried about not having Minion glasses to complete the outfit, because I was the only one in costume.

Even Apache, who was keeping his costume secret because he wanted to surprise me, surprised me by showing up with no costume.

Made for a ho-hum contest, no photos, etc., and made it easy for me to win, but no gift card this time. Instead, there were household items on a table to be given away later by drawing, costume contest winner got first pick.

I chose laundry detergent.

I was looking forward to The Baker’s biscuits and gravy, but she had a family emergency and opted out of the event, so I played it safe and ate only fresh fruit and what I brought.




All in all, I can’t say this was much of a fun event – it was successful in that residents showed up, but not all that much fun because the Halloween spirit wasn’t present.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm sorry too. Sorry I went to so much trouble and expended so much energy in those Halloween themed deviled eggs. But no more. From now on, they'll get something from the deli. No soup for you!

      Delete
  2. Your eggs certainly got in the spirit. I'm like the other old people in your complex, I wouldn't have dressed up either. When I first talked with the museum director to do tours in Kearney Mansion that was my first question, do I have to wear a costume? No, no dress-up. Years ago they required their tour guides to dress in period attire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? That sounds like dressing in a period costume would have been fun.

      Delete
    2. I don't do dress-up of any kind. It's not my thing.

      Delete