Monday, July 11, 2016

There Goes the Neighborhood

To say the last week or so has been slow here at the senior complex would be a gross understatement. It’s been lifeless. Not that lifeless is a bad thing because, what with all the family drama I see unfolding on Facebook, and all the turmoil unfolding in the world, slow and lifeless gives me the opportunity to keep to myself -- away from the group in the Community Room who get all hyped up and negative over world affairs, an opportunity to look at all the happenings objectively and know that the world around me is in the tunnel right now, and when one is in the tunnel there is darkness and all manner of slime on the wall but, at the end, there is light.

At 5:00 this afternoon, Nurse Ratched is presenting “An Afternoon of Safety” which, I assume is her response to her mother and the dumpster lady having been accosted by the mentally challenged guy.

The program flyer reads “Afternoon of safety. Equip women with products that can protect them. Empower women to protect themselves. Educate women by encouraging then to back up their purchases with self-defense training. We all need to be more aware of our surroundings and be ready with a plan of action. Awareness is key, along with being prepared.”

Sounds like a good idea, except the program was originally the brain child of Christian Writer, who I could tell judged me in a self-righteous manner when there was a question about an upcoming event and she told me to ask Nurse Ratched. “NO!” said I, “I never ever talk to her directly. I talk to the Assistant or send an email.”

At any rate, it was Christian Writer’s idea to host a Damsel in Defense party here at the complex. Approaching Nurse Ratched for permission to host the event, she was told, “I don’t have anything to do with that. You’ll have to talk to the activity director about it.” Then, before Christian Writer could do so, Nurse Ratched got together with one of her gal pals and set the event up as a money-maker for themselves.

Shady business that but, when Christian Writer complained to me that she’d been lied to and duped, I presented, “You needed that to happen so you could see.”

Will I attend this afternoon’s event?

I’m tempted, just to see if anyone at all attends, but no.

Only other thing of note has been a new tenant in the unit across the quad. This would be the upstairs unit, previously occupied by our former much revered maintenance man. After Nurse Ratched saw fit to terminate him -- because he was too competent and too popular, the unit lay vacant for 9 months.

That’s a lot of loss revenue, but Nurse Ratched doesn’t seem to care as much about revenue as she does about power and control.

At any rate, the new tenant is the cute young Maintenance Supervisor, which would be honky dory with us residents because he’s pleasant and seems to be doing a good job, except that he’s young, just starting out in life with a wife, 7 month old baby and 2 year old boy – all of whom moved in with him.

I thought I was dreaming when, at 11:30 Friday night, I heard voices and a child’s laughter. Looking out the patio window, I observed the 3 year old playing on their patio. Fascinated by the sliding patio window, he would slam it open to one side, slam it back close, and giggle his little head off. Over and over he repeated the process until I figured he’d break the mechanism.

It took quite some time before his dad, young maintenance man, took him by the hand, brought him inside, closed the patio door and pushed the locking mechanism down. Problem with that is the little boy watched how his dad pushed the mechanism down and, as soon as dad walked away, flipped it back up and returned to slamming the patio door back and forth.

Tired of watching, I went back to bed feeling pain for the neighbor beneath them and my next door neighbor, whose bedroom is directly across from the ruckus.

I actually ran into their downstairs neighbor at the market yesterday. She says she’s losing her mind because the noise is intolerable. The 2 year old stays up late, likes to bounce on the bed and couch, jump off onto the floor, causing photos on her wall to shake and there’s that business of slamming the patio sliding door open and close. "They never discipline him. Tell him to stop." she says.

There goes the quiet neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment