Wednesday, July 20, 2016

More Data/Less Caffeine

Except for when Pokemon Server went down this afternoon, I’ve been a Pokemon hunting fool.

At Trader Joe’s, I encountered and captured a CP10 Meowth on the parking lot, right outside the car door as I stepped out.





Inside of Trader Joe’s was filled with crablike characters. I encountered three and opted to capture two.




Exiting the car at Starbucks, I encountered and captured a fierce Venonat. Inside, two Rattata and a poisonous Ekans.








By the time the server went down, because the CP (Combat Power) was high on the fierce characters, I found I’d leveled-up from Ll 1 to L3 in the game.

Not bad for a 72 year old.

I am having so much fun with this! So much fun that I received a data warning and, though I’m on a tight budget, plus trying to squirrel away moving money, I capitulated and upped the data plan.

Looking at the budget, this upgrade translates into less trips to Starbucks and perhaps buying my makeup from the drug store rather than Macy’s.

A new friend I met at last year’s Halloween Spooktacular 5K, and now on my facebook, invited me to a 5K/Pokemon Hunt this Saturday.

Would have been fun but I declined because she’s young ... runs, I’m older ... walk, and I can’t take the heat.

However, her invitation got me to thinking about the idea of joining a team.

I don’t care for team activities, too much drama when working with others, BUT if there is a team called The Geezers, where everyone is over the age of 70, that might be worth taking a chance. Once I get really good at this, I may start Team Geezers.

At 3:00 this afternoon, we had a Residents/Management meeting … a whole lot of nothing, as usual, but contentious because those present weren’t buying what Nurse Ratched was putting down, and said so … loudly.

So contentious, so loud and so being bombarded that, at one point, Nurse Ratched stood up and said, “Okay! We’re done!”

She couldn’t take the heat but, instead of storming out, she composed herself, sat back down and continued to try to convince us residents the sky is green and grass is blue.

I just listened, had nothing to say since my termite issue had finally been taken care of and I still, in-the-back-of-my-mind, feel I’ll eventually move anyway -- just don't know when, don't know where.

But then ……

Nurse Ratched was put on the spot by several residents about events on the calendar being cancelled at the last minute.

“I don’t recall that happening more than once or twice”, said she.

I smirked, mumbled under my breath at the blatant lie, and heard myself say to myself "Don't say anything."

Residents began naming the cancellations, one of which was the last Residents/Management meeting.

“That was because I had a terrible headache”, said she.

If she was looking for sympathy with that excuse, she didn’t get it.

Then someone brought up the Arts & Crafts cancellations.

“I have nothing to do with that. That’s all the Activity Director. You need to work that out with her”, said she.

Again, I heard myself say to myself, "Don't say anything" ... but that was too much of a lie. Something inside would not let me stay silent.

“I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that YOU control the budget and, if YOU withhold the budget, the activity director cannot do her job”, said I.

BAM!

It was a direct hit. She had no idea we knew about "the budget". Having been caught off guard, she was rendered momentarily speechless. She looked away, around, grasping for a way out, regrouped and came up with a song and dance about the check from corporate coming late, that it’s a “management” problem, but she’ll be requesting the check in advance henceforth.

Fine but, either way, her reply contradicted the lie about it having nothing to do with her.

After residents ran out of challenging her and things calmed down, Nurse Ratched advised of a change coming in the wording of the lease agreements.

“You told us we’ve all been month-to-month since your took over the property?” a resident offered. (A transition I didn’t know about until recently, when I inquired as to when my lease was up).

She couldn’t say what the wording change would be, got us all confused by saying yes and no to whether what she told us before about month-to-month was true or whether we’re on leases but, the bottom line is we’re being asked to sign newly worded lease agreements in the coming months.

Probably because there are so many vacancies they don’t want anyone else to leave.

At any rate, I'm fairly certain what she told us before about being month-to-month is what's up and, as I do not want to get trapped in a lease here, I’d better plan for a few days checking out senior complexes I found in Lakewood, Long Beach, Newport Beach, Irvine, Fullerton … in that order of preference.

2 comments:

  1. It's cooler on the coast. You will find something with far better management, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Cooler" weather would be a welcome change. "Better Management" would be a blessing.

      Delete