Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Reality Setting In?

Heading out for a walk yesterday morning, found a notice posted to the door that termite control would be paying me another visit. Notice didn’t say what the second visit was for, didn’t say what time, but I assumed a second treatment, and worked out a plan of errands I could run if I had to stay out of the unit 2/3 hours after the treatment.

It was another false alarm. No one showed up.

Heading out for a walk this morning, found another notice -- this one to “conduct an inspection”.

After waiting around all day, seeing and hearing nothing and no one, along around 4:00 I decided I needed coffee and was just about to head out to Starbucks when, lo and behold, here comes Nurse Ratched up the stairs, along with the older of the two young maintenance guys, and Nurse Ratched’s boss -- the kleptomaniac from Corporate.

The kleptomaniac walked through the neighbor’s unit with her little clipboard, then walked through every room in mine EXCEPT the scene of her former crime – the bedroom.

Interesting.

Though she did not have a black tote bag with her this time, just the clipboard, with all trust gone, I paid no mind to what the other two were doing. Instead, I stayed on the kleptomaniac’s heels – where she went I went.

I kept looking at her thinking how hard it was to believe a woman who comes across as elegant as she could do what she did. On the other hand, it occurred to me that the item taken was the type of thing a woman like her would want.

If she’d admired the belt, all she had to do was say so. I would have helped her locate where she could purchase one similar ... a solution which would not have involved muddying up her karma with pilfering.

So, anyway, she came through all business with Nurse Ratched trailing behind.

I forget who brought up the termites … I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me. I think it was Nurse Ratched, looking for an attagirl in front of her boss that she was on top of the termite situation.

An attagirl she did not get. Instead, I used this opportunity to make sure her boss knew I had to single-handedly fight the invasion for 59 days as they swarmed and termite control was not scheduled until Day 71.

The kleptomaniac apologized I had to go through such a “nightmare” – her words, and an accurate description.

I had also mentioned the previous day’s notice and termite control not showing up.

Nurse Ratched used this as an opportunity to get us off her failure to act in a reasonable length of time and tried to come off as knowledgeable and efficient saying termite control would be here tomorrow instead. That they would be inspecting every unit in this building, because when termites are NOT swarming, they stay in place, gnawing away at the dry wood … “It’s a process”.

Who among of us did not know that? 

I guess it was news to Nurse Ratched.

Sounds like reality is setting in.

Whatever pleasure she got out of ignoring my being inconvenienced by swarmers has been overshadowed by the reality of damage to property.

Before leaving, the kleptomaniac asked if there were any other problems in the unit.

I used this as an opportunity to pound another nail in Nurse Ratched’s coffin by saying the A/C had gone out, but the maintenance guy -- who happened to be the one present, had done a good job of not only getting it taken care of the same day I reported it to him but, "instead of 71 days later, mere hours after". I didn’t mention that I’d emailed Nurse Ratched about the A/C and she never replied, because I’d forgotten about emailing her … until just now.

Through it all, in front of her boss, Nurse Ratched kept her composure, smiled even. Inside, she was probably fuming.

I see more “Why don’t you just die” looks coming my way from her.

Will be interesting to see what comes from tomorrow’s mass unit inspections. They may have to tent after all.

Earlier in the week, I heard from the senior compound with the short wait list. It’s a couple cities over with a higher median income, so I qualify. However, I’d already lost interest in senior compound over senior complex and declined the unit.

My interest is now back to where it was originally – a beach community. So I’m just gonna be patient, hang tight to see what happens here for the time being and eventually look towards settling in Long Beach/Lakewood/Redondo Beach area.

No comments:

Post a Comment