Saturday, June 25, 2016

Always Last Place You Look

In an effort to have the Cardio Glider and microwave removed – the glider so I could have the space back, the microwave because it’s time to replace with a new one, I finally found a Veterans organization which said they do not pick-up in this area code but would make a special trip this morning because a truck was scheduled to be not too far away.

While thinking of where to look for assistance next, just in case the truck didn’t show up, I heard the following words come from the television screen … “No matter what you need or when you need it, check Yelp first.”

Hmmmm?

Yelp?

I’m sure that commercial has run many times before, but it never registered until now.

A sign perhaps?

Logging onto the site, looking for hauling services, I found a guy that had great reviews, took down his telephone number and, when there was no sign of a truck by 1:00, gave him a call.




This was the guy at 2:02.

I kid you not.

Most expedient service I’ve ever experienced!

And on a Saturday no less.

Even though I only had two items, he had to charge the minimum ($65) which I was happy to pay and a bargain compared to the $125 - $175 quoted by others.

And wouldn’t you know, Walmart is running a sale on microwaves. I’ll have a new one in an hour or two.

Having learned that the usual channels for picking up donations do not service this area – we can drop off, but they will not pick up, I’m thinking it’s good to be working towards living with less because, upon my death, family is going to have a difficult time clearing out what I’ve left behind.

I'm hoping to get this Living With Less thing down to leaving behind nothing useless, nothing meaningful only to me.

2 comments: