Friday, June 17, 2016

Better to Give than to Receive but Isn’t Easy

Today at 10:00 is our once-a-month activity -- Arts and Crafts, Yarn Wrap Ombre Monogrammed Letter.

That’s about the extent of activities around here … once-a-month unless a special occasion crops up when we are graced with two activities – Arts and Crafts and a holiday potluck.

The lack of activities would be depressing but for the fact I have my needlepoint projects to keep me occupied, two 5Ks coming up to keep me motivated to move, and meditation to keep me in tune.

Even Nurse Ratched’s mom – who by the way lives here, was overheard to complain to her, “There are no activities”.

LOL.

Because of Father’s Day, this is one of those two-activity months with the Father’s Day Potluck on the 24th.

There has been little interest in this event, since I’ve been a resident, with generally one lone male – The Baker’s husband, and two/three women who attend to support The Baker in honoring her husband.

Due to the poor turnout, I’ve never attended. Thought about it this time around, signed up, but have since changed my mind deciding against.

In keeping with Living With Less, I decided not to box up the DVDs with hopes of having bazaars here once again, or at another complex, so I could sell them. Instead, I’m taking them down to Arts and Crafts and offering to one and all for free.





Some of the DVDs have never been viewed -- I’ve not had the time.

It was a huge mistake to take that Cardio Glide equipment off my next door neighbor’s hands, because I’ve since tired of it and, try as I might, can’t get anyone else to take it off my hands.




I seriously doubt Salvation Army will want to pick it up, and research into Haul Away services resulted in places that will take it for scrap metal, only their services are not free. Cheapest I’ve found will pick up one item for $85.

I so want rid of it that I’m actually considering paying the $85 to have it taken away, maybe more because I want to purchase a new microwave and need the old one removed.

Before I go so far as to book the service, I’m hoping to see some independent guy with a truck collecting scrap metal -- when I’m out and about, have him follow me home, bring him in – with the door wide open in case he’s not right and I have to run, and get him to haul the items away for free inasmuch as he can sell them for scrap and make a bit of money.

Hopefully, ALL the DVDs will be taken so I won't be stuck with finding some place to donate those as well.

Who knew giving would be so complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment