Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Melting

And so it is, in the middle of a heat wave, the A/C goes out in my unit. At one point, it actually reached 97° before I remembered there was an old tower fan in the patio storage area.

Busy looking into other senior communities in the area, I’m not going to have time to put in a maintenance request until Thursday because, after my favorite belt went missing right under my nose, I for sure don’t want anyone in the unit when I’m not around to keep an eye on them; and, after all the many times Nurse Ratched had me waiting around for termite control that never showed -- until 71 days later, I have no intention of slowing my roll to repeat the process and stick around waiting for A/C repair people.

The search into other senior communities continues.

On one hand, I tell myself to be patient … wait to see how things go here. On the other hand, something inside won’t let me stop looking.

This area being the Mecca for old people, I’m frequently finding senior complexes to take a look at, and new buildings are going up even as we speak. Problem is … everything is “affordable” – based on the median income for this area, which would be a blessing except for the fact the median income for this area is low.

Should I ever experience a reversal of fortune, it’s good to know of all the places I can lease, but the knowledge isn’t doing me much good now. More and more it looks like I’ll have to relocate some 50/60 miles away where the median income is higher. A move I don’t want to make because I’ll be away from everything convenient, familiar, comfortable -- dentist, hairdresser, doctor, and won’t be close enough to serve as granddaughter’s Uber driver.

I received a call yesterday that a unit was going to be available June 21 at a complex in the area that had previously been last on my list. Last, because it’s an older building and I’ve been interested in newer.

However, after driving by the property just last week, liking what I saw, then later touring the property, talking to residents, the complex became high on my list and I signed up as third on the wait list for a 2 bedroom upstairs.

It’s just like what this place use to be before new management came in – tons of activities, trips, shuttles to the market and shopping center. In addition, there’s a fitness center, movie night, a weekly walking group, et al.

Online reviews were all good.

A resident I personally chatted with, while waiting for the leasing agent, said she’s lived there 11 years, another 9 years.

I was totally impressed by one gray haired old lady, who only lived there a month. I called her a “pioneer” because she’d driven 400 miles across country -- all by herself to become a resident.

The leasing agent did a quick tally of my income and found me squeaking by with just a few dollars to spare before, once again, being over the income restriction. However, after getting the call yesterday that a unit was coming available, and meeting with the leasing agent this morning to get paperwork started, she redid the numbers and ….. yep, she’d previously made a mistake and I’m over.

So for now, it appears I’ll be sitting tight, waiting to see how things go around here, while continuing to weed out, prepare, just in case something else shakes loose.

Nothing further on tap for this week, except tomorrow, when granddaughter and I go out shopping for arts and craft supplies and begin making face graduation fans for her brother.

On Thursday, I’ll call in a maintenance request on the A/C and begin counting down on how long Nurse Ratched sits on the request.

4 comments:

  1. I CANNOT sleep in a hot room, so it it were me I'd make the A/C my priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never run the a/c at night anyway. When it's hot, like now, I've always used a fan, so the a/c being out is not too much of an inconvenience in the bedroom. It's just the remainder of the unit, during the day, where I melt.

      Delete
  2. You are very fortunate to have such high income. So many older people do not have that advantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't exactly say "high". It was only $104 over being able to lease at that last place I was so hoping to getting into. I do see, however, that some of the income of our residents is way more restrictive than mine. Not sure why that is because most of us have worked all our lives and put into the system.

      Delete