Sunday, November 22, 2015

Wild Goose Chase

After checking the website yesterday morning, I saw Pattie LaBelle Sweet Potato Pies were back in stock at Walmart -- $3.48 as opposed to $40.00 on Ebay, so off I go.





I don’t even like sweet potatoes but, wanting to know what all the hype is about, I thought I’d pick a pie up to share with the group in the Community Room.

Color me highly annoyed when, arriving at Walmart, I learned the pies were NOT in stock.

The website lied.

On the off chance I was looking in the wrong location, I approached a sales associate.

“I saw online that the Pattie LaBelle pies are back in stock”.

“No, we’re out. But check the website to see when next available.”

Duh!

But okay, sure, I’ll keep an eye on the website since it worked out so well this morning … not.

At any rate, since I don’t like sweet potatoes anyway, I’ve completely lost interest. If I happen to be there and see one, I’ll purchase it, but I won’t be going out of my way for it.

There being a Starbucks on the next corner, I stopped in and saw a cute holiday ornament. I need another Starbucks ornament like I need a hole in the head, but couldn’t resist adding to my collection.



In spite of management having announced the Community Room would be open on weekends, it was not open yesterday.

They too lied.

We are once again locked out when the office is closed.

It may be, having fired our on-premises maintenance man, there is now no one to open up, but the excuse management is giving is that the locks do not work.

At any rate, once back at the complex, I decided to spend the day cooking meals for the refrigerator. I put together a pasta-free minestrone soup and a turkey loaf. Looks to be a week’s worth of meals, maybe more.

Also, inasmuch as it’s getting close to the day I can pull the Christmas decorations from storage to deck the patio, I washed the patio windows. While doing so, I took a look at that “unlocked hot water heater door.”



As you can see, there’s no lock to lock.

When construction guy and his crew came through a few years back -- the crew hired by management, the crew us residents complained about because they were doing such shoddy work, part of the shoddy work complained about were the mismatched knobs – one takes a key, the other does not.

Construction Guy and his crew were also the ones who put in those cheap ceiling fans. Fans which began to fail; one of which fan caused that finding of a blinking light in a resident’s unit.

None of this had to do with maintenance, so I’m really interested to learn what findings Nurse Rathed used to fire our maintenance man.

It’s so sad to see him cleaning his tools out of the maintenance shed. Even though Nurse Ratched made his work-day as hostile as she could, I think he found purpose and meaning in the job. He’d confided to me early on that, he’d previously retired but took this job with previous management because it was either another job or get a divorce. His wife, whom he’s been married to since right out of high school, found his being underfoot all the time to be disruptive.

It’s going to be tough for an individual like him, even at 78 years of age, to adjust to slowing down and smelling the roses. It’s going to be worse if Nurse Ratched forces him off the property, away from us … his friends.

The quad feels eerily quiet, because we are identifying with his hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment