Monday, October 19, 2015

Woman Down

The first half of yesterday’s 5K was up a mountain.

I’d remembered that from previous years, expected it, prepared mentally for it.

However, I wasn't prepared for the two inclines on the way down. I'd forgotten those. Nor was I prepared for how rocky the road had become. I actually took two/three hard stumbles.

Didn't fall though, thank God. Regained my footing and finished feeling to be in good shape.

The agony of the body did not began to set in until late that afternoon.

By bedtime, my body felt as though it had been hit by a truck, so I took a soak in Epson salt.

I was expecting, planning even, to sleep in late this morning.

Didn’t happen.

Was wide awake at 3:00 sharp, with a pain in my left calf I knew to be a pulled muscle.

So here I am limping around the apartment, hoping to get through this in time for Saturday’s Bacon Run.

I’ve never seen an event with as much chaos swirling around it as this Bacon Run.

First there was the almost last-minute reschedule. Then there’s the business of refunds not being issued as promised. NOW, the event has been relocated without notice to those who’ve already preregistered.

A lot of people are going to show up at the wrong location.

The only way I found out was through someone’s Facebook posting saying they’d heard of a new location and asking for verification.

I’ve never seen anything like this ... ever.

Well, actually, once.

When my girls were growing up, we had a tradition of attending the Community’s Annual Pancake Breakfast.

Looking to carry this tradition over into adulthood, my other daughter -- the one I am now estranged from, invited me to drive down from San Diego, where I was living at the time, to attend her friend's church Pancake Breakfast in Los Angeles.

Arriving at the church, we learned pancakes were out, omelets were in.

A lot of grumbling proceeded to which the minister lectured the congregation on “This is a worship breakfast. You are here to worship.”

Not true.

We’d purchased tickets to what was advertised as a Pancake Breakfast.

If I'd wanted to "worship", I for sure would not have chosen his church.

There is now so much chaos around next week’s 5K that I’m tempted to eat the almost $50 registration fee, stay home and nurse my injury, but I’ve already made the leggings (had enough left over to also make a headband).



At $32 a yard, the two yards of the fabric I purchased is too costly to let go to waste.

THEN there’s the bacon medal and bacon t-shirt.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m almost hoping we have another storm that morning so the event will be washed out, giving me no other option than to take a loss and opt out.

On tap for today?

Well, right now I'm jonesing for coffee. So, I'm gonna limp myself down to the car and head out for some Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment