Friday, June 3, 2016

Straight Outta Baltimore

I thought it was my imagination when, shortly after 4:00 Thursday, a jolt woke me from a nap.

When I later saw the Monthly Activity Calendar posted to the door, I assumed it was the cute maintenance supervisor running up the stairs posting calendars, but later learned we did indeed have a minor quake -- 3.1 ENE (59 degrees) of Muscoy.

Nothing of note on the calendar, except Arts & Crafts on the 17th and another Residents/Management Meeting on the 22nd.

Depending on who is in attendance by way of residents and management personnel, and how much Nurse Ratched plans to disclose, that meeting has the potential to be quite interesting.

Aware that I walk around the complex, a resident told me -- earlier this week, to “Mija be careful walking around” because she’d been accosted by the mentally challenged son of another resident.

The resident telling me to be careful is the woman whose income was caring for her mother, and who managed to remain a resident when family dissension resulted in her mom being removed from her care, taken first to the resident’s sister’s home, then to a care facility where the mom later passed away. This resident is also the little rule breaker who goes dumpster diving for cans and plastic.

And I get a kick out of her always referring to me as “Mija” -- Spanish for daughter, when I’m at least 10/15 years older.

At any rate, she said it was about 6:00 in the afternoon, she was dumpster diving and “A Persian guy with a little mustache, little goatee, usually wearing a red cap” approached … grabbed her by her arms and shook her asking, “What do you have?” then proceeded to go through her cart.

Of course, she called the police. They did arrive but, though touching/shaking/ransacking was involved, there was not an arrest.

A few days later, word filtered down that a wheel-chair bound resident had been shoved out of the way on the walkway by someone living here.

I’m interested in knowing if Nurse Ratched is going to gloss over these two incidents, as though they never happened, or tell us of the incidents and advise we be careful or advise what if anything is being done about the mentally challenged guy and the old lady shover.

I’m also interested in knowing when and if Nurse Ratched is ever going to address the rumor the complex is being sold – an occurrence which might make all the difference to the residents I know who are planning to look elsewhere because she is here.

And I am convinced it is a fact, not a rumor because, as I was returning from Starbucks just before 11:00 this morning, I saw a guy taking photos of the building. Super Sleuth that I am, I made note of the logo on his jacket, googled it and up came an organization based in Baltimore, MD, which specializes in senior living facilities.

Currently, the organization has senior communities in Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and I’m assuming are looking to branch into this area.

After researching some of its facilities, I find they have a good reputation and might bring this complex back to what it was before Nurse Ratched darkened our doorstep.

If they do purchase the property, I hope they’re astute enough to get a termite inspection and don’t fall for Nurse Ratched’s pretense of friendliness, professionalism and make the mistake of keeping her on as complex manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment