Thursday, November 12, 2015

It Takes All Kinds

Scrapbooking not completely caught up, but under control, I got out this morning and spent time in the Community Room chatting with the folks. Having not spent much time there lately, I got caught-up on some disturbing goings on.

It seems we have a thief or thieves.

First, decorative items placed in the Community Garden have been going missing.

Of course there are cameras everywhere, taping our every move and, should the office be so inclined, they could roll tape to find out who’s been absconding with planters, garden gnomes, etc. The office had no problem viewing the tape when that leftover strawberry pie, Nurse Ratched declared was “MY PIE”, went missing; but can’t be bothered with our missing items.

Second, the thieves showed up at last month’s Harvest Breakfast and smooth walked out with an entire tray of enchiladas and swiped a take-home plate The Seer had put together, covered with foil, and placed on the table in front of where she had been seated.

I didn’t see a thing and, if I did, it didn’t register at the time that anything was amiss.

Such was the case with others as the woman who walked off with the tray of enchiladas and the woman who walked off with The Seer’s take-home both were observed. Observed, but no one thought anything about it until the resident who’d brought the enchiladas noticed a tray was missing and went …. hey? And The Seer noticed her take-home plate was gone and went … hey?

In fact, The Seer tells me she actually saw the woman walking out with the foil covered plate but didn’t realize it was hers until after the fact.

The thieves are two of the three new residents I’ve described in previous posts as running in a pack, unfriendly, dark auras. After having not signed up for the Harvest Breakfast, after having not contributed, the three walked into the Community Room with a man who appears to be related, and all four helped themselves to what the rest of us had brought.

I saw them walk in with nothing and, at the time, there was some grumbling among the other residents at their arriving dish less. I didn’t think it a big deal and said 1) We had more than enough to go around and 2) Frankly, they don’t look like the kind of people whose food anyone should eat. The fact one of them later smooth walked over, picked up a tray of enchiladas, walked out, and the other stole The Seer’s foil covered take-home right from under The Seer’s nose is crossing a line.

Now that I think back on that day, no wonder one of the three – the woman I went out of my way to engage and got her to where, as she was leaving, to finally smile and wave at me. It was the old look normal, don't draw suspicious attention to yourself as you walk out of here with what I now vaguely recall was a foil wrapped plate in her other hand.

It takes all kinds to make a community, but I have a hard time understanding just where it is some people come from and why they’re necessary.

The shenanigans of the three have already had an impact on future resident sponsored gatherings. A fish fry had been planned, Apache had already purchased the fish, then the others decided they did not want to give the three another opportunity to pilfer, so the fry was cancelled.

Going to be interesting if the pack shows up to next week’s management sponsored Thanksgiving Potluck -- as I’m sure they will. I’m going to keep an eye on my deviled eggs, so that the trays don’t go missing.

You saw the video of tennis star Serena Williams following that old guy out of the restaurant who’d stolen her cell phone? That will be me. I don't have a problem following, yelling "Stop Thief!" to turn all eyes on them, demanding return of my melamine egg trays.

I have a feeling, now that everyone's on notice, all eyes will be on them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment