Friday, November 20, 2015

Criminal Activity

This is what I came across while out walking early yesterday morning.





Some disturbed human had broken out all the windows and rifled through the contents of a moving van on the property.

Fifty minutes into my walk, the calvary arrived to remove the doors, shake out the broken glass, put new windows in.



Talking to one of the neighbors later, I learned there’s been a rash of auto break-ins on the East side of the complex. She said the resident with the moving van also had her car broken into … twice, “That’s why she’s moving. She can’t keep having her stuff broken into.”

I couldn’t imagine the break-ins could net anything of value and, since her car had also been broken into ... twice, I assumed it was a personal attack on the resident and said, “Sounds like she’s being targeted.”

“No. My car’s been broken into as well. My dad has lived here 17 years and this is the first time there’s been this kind of problem.”

My mind keeps going back to that strange group of women with the dark auras. Though they walk around looking tough, like they could cut you without thinking twice, I can’t say they move fast enough or appear strong enough to run around vandalizing property their own darn selves, but there is that big guy I saw walk them into the Harvest Breakfast, and one of the women did walk away with a whole tray of enchiladas, and another one in that group did smooth swipe The Seer’s take-away plate from right under The Seer’s nose and, since they moved in, knickknacks from the Community Garden have gone missing. So I’m feeling very comfortable in speculating there’s a connection between their moving in and the rash of criminal activity. I’d never say it out loud to anyone else, but I’m comfortable with thinking it.

If I were a resident in that area, I’d get myself one of those motion detector cameras, put it in the window and focus down on my car, so as to catch the perpetrator(s) in the act.

God forbid the criminal activity finds its way around to where I park, south side of the complex, because the car is parked away from my windows to where I can’t focus a camera.

I’m hoping my area remains safe; however, there being a plus to every minus, should a problem arise, I’m thinking I should put all the stuff Apache’s giving me in the trunk so the perpetrator will take it.

LOL.

Along around 11:00 yesterday, there was a knock on the door. I opened to find Nurse Ratched and not one, not two, but three inspectors … all female, ready to do what supposedly is the very last and most important inspection.

The ladies were all business with their little clipboards, scattering through the place like roaches when the light goes on (and no, we do not have roaches here).

I couldn’t keep up with who was where … what this one was doing … what that one was doing, but it was a complete and thorough inspection, as I could hear the toilet flushing in one room, garbage disposal going in another room, smoke detector going off, burners on the stove clicking, cabinet doors being opened. One even looked under the sink.

So much activity all at once was a little unnerving, as I unsuccessfully tried to find a spot to stay out of the way, but at least it was over quickly.

One of the inspectors went out onto the patio, opened the door which houses the hot water heater and informed Nurse Ratched that the door leading to the hot water heater was supposed to be locked, and wasn’t.

Doesn’t seem to be a serious infraction, but it’s an excuse for Nurse Ratched to yell at the New Head Maintenance Man because, had he not been so chatty, he would have made it out onto the patio and inspected that area.

Before leaving, one of the inspectors asked, “Does the dishwasher work?”

“I don’t know. I’ve never used it”, said I.

The room stood still and all looked at me like I’d just arrived from another planet, so I continued, “It just seems like a lot of trouble when I can wash them myself.”

For some reason, they found this amusing and a conversation ensued with all three, one saying, “You’d hate me because I wash my dishes, then wash them again in the dishwasher.”

The conversation ended with my saying, “I’ve never used a dishwasher in my life. Don’t think I even know HOW to use one.”

They all left laughing and, as Nurse Ratched exited, she turned and gave me a pleased approving smile. Maybe because I released the tension she must have felt with the inspectors by causing them to loosen up and laugh, but who knows with her. So, I'll continue to remain leery of her.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of car break-ins here in Fresno. It has become epidemic. Same with car thefts. We are told to leave nothing in our cars, not even water, that homeless people could use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Just this morning, I removed my cd case, which I kept hidden under the seat, my GPS, also hidden under the seat, even the gate card. I've still got stuff in the trunk (old shoes I mean to give to Salvation Army and a tutu), but think it's a good idea to, as you say, leave nothing in the car.

      Delete