Saturday, December 13, 2025

On the 13th Day of Christmas

Time is moving way too fast. Before you know it, the elf will be headed back to the North Pole.

Today, asking my Checker Friend why no signage this year. She said, "There’s a sign up front".

I checked and the sign didn’t immediately stand out because, instead of being at the outside entrance to the store, it was on the inside, pushed up against the wall with other distracting items in the same area, but my eyes did eventually land on it.


Especially easy for me to have missed because the hunt for me begins the second I step inside, where I can see a panorama of a portion of the store — see if anything red pops out against the back wall, in decorations at the immediate checkout stand, or near the security guard or the area I’m standing in.

Seeing nothing in those areas today, I started to hang a left towards produce, hunt along the way.

The cart I’d chosen seemed rusty, was taking a lot of effort from me to move, so instead of turning left, I set the phone to video so you can hunt with me, and hung a right past the Bakery.


Did you find Holly?

Do you need a minute?











In other news, Twin 1, on the way from Nevada, to do what she does, this time for the homeless in Compton and on Skid Row, stopped by Thursday for a brief rest and breakfast before completing the journey.

She arrived at 3:30 in the morning, which meant, because the gate code doesn’t work, hasn’t worked for years, I had to slap myself awake, head down to open the gate for her to drive in, park the van.

She laughed when I said, "This is the only time I’ve been outside at this hour since the 90’s" (my party days).

She slept on the couch and, when I got up from the bed around 7:00 began my day, she switched to the bed.

My soul almost left my body when, later that morning, I was reading blogs when this tall figure wearing a black hoodie suddenly appeared in the hall doorway.

I'd forgotten she was here and she had made no noise, just suddenly appeared.

Taking photos of the finished cross stitch

I’ll probably see her again if she stops for a rest on the way back to Nevada next week.


24 comments:

  1. For a minute or two I was worried that they had put the elf in the dairy case.

    You can never retire from being a mom. Getting up at 3:00AM to open the gate for your daughter was in the fine print on the back of her birth certificate. Although, who is going to be up at 3:00AM to write you a ticket if you didn't open the gate.

    Safe event and travels for your daughter.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've done something like that before. Thank you so much for "safe event and travels". I worry all the time because of how she pushes herself and the dangerous situations she puts herself in while trying to help others who aren't always appreciative.

      Delete
  2. Love those purple specs; stay awake Mom! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really dragging after getting up at 3:30, took me a few days to regulate my sleep pattern.

      Delete
  3. I love the photo of you two beauties! Does it count as elf on a shelf if it’s not on a shelf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a question, LOL. Holly would be unsafe if she sat on a shelf around here, someone would steal her; so she climbs high or hides in locked locations.

      Delete
  4. The elf hanging down from behind the valance was a good one this time!!! Hell, when not working I don't go to bed till around 3am!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're like the energizer bunny; a whirlwind of activity, sleep not needed.

      Delete
  5. Good on Twin 1 for her god deeds with the unhoused! Brava.

    As for that pesky elf, I'd be tearing the store apart piece by piece and still not find it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tape my next hunt. Give you another opportunity to try. You might surprise yourself.

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a nice visit with your daughter, even if it involved slapping yourself awake and then later being startled, lol. And yes, I spotted the Elf too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for spotting Holly. I should have long ago thought of videotaping the hunt for readers to enjoy the experience.

      Delete
  7. Oh, how much I love your post. The elf hunt is nice, but your daughter's visit is just the icing on the cake. Seeing her with you and hearing about your interactions make me smile. A couple of really good women there! I know you are proud of her. And, I think she's pretty proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find the elf in the video?

      Delete
    2. To be very honest, I just wait for you to show the picture of the elf. I don't go in for games like that. If our stores here did anything like that, I wouldn't be on the hunt for the object, but if I saw it, I would be pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  8. Great post, as usual. Nice to see your daughter stopped in. Your eyes are sharp, finding that pesky elf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes can't find my phone or glasses, when they're right in front of me; but I can spot that elf. Go figure.

      Delete
  9. It's always good to see a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm lucky. I hear some horror stories around here about children visiting and there's abuse. I remember when I first moved in, blogged about a resident whose son caused so much trouble that he was banned from the property. He kept sneaking in to blame his mother for not taking care of his situation of being homeless for the choices he himself made. The stress of it all sent her to an early grave.

      Delete
  10. Yes, I can imagine your fright when a sudden figure appears. I startle easier than I did when I was young so occasional little squeels come out when I don't hear someone walking toward me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Some people need a bell on them to let us scary cats know they're coming.

      Delete
  11. Your daughter sure looks like you! As for Holly, I'd hide her in a display of fresh pomegranates or red apples with only her little face visible just to see shoppers' reactions, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great hiding place! I usually smile when I find her, but that would make me LOL right there in the store.

      Delete