Saturday, September 27, 2025

The L Word

The 1st of Halloween only three days away, Skelly decided it was time to shake off the inactivity of being sat in a corner/turned into a lamp for months, begin training for the main event.


Word on the streets is that the office has caved …… the refrigerator in the Community Room is being returned to the Community, management is purchasing and setting up a refrigerator in their own area.

Previously, it was always "no" when the suggestion of management having a little refrigerator in the office for their lunches was made. As to what caused this, as yet unconfirmed change of heart …… it could be that, when the Baker blew up, Manager might have realized she’d been going too far in punishing us seniors because Di had stolen one of their lunches from the refrigerator; what the ramifications would be if an elderly resident was injured transporting stuff for events back and forth from their unit to the Community Room because Manager locked the refrigerator.

As to why Manager might have begun to think of ramifications, might be because a resident I’d never seen before mentioned the L word in the Residents/Management Meeting — Lawsuit.

It wasn’t in reference to the refrigerator, but an issue another resident was having with the floors in her unit.

From what I gathered, management was dragging its heels on a solution to the flooring situation; whereupon this woman I’d never seen before said that if the resident tripped and injured herself, "That’s a lawsuit. You can sue them".

Even though it’s not illegal for Manager to lock the refrigerator — just not a good look for management, maybe just maybe the Baker blowing up and mention of the L word made her think she should do something to calm the natives down.

Thus far, like I said, I’ve had no confirmation on our getting our refrigerator back, it’s strictly a rumor. However, if later proved to be a fact, I’m not sure that, at this point any of us, including the Baker. even cares. It may be too little too late.

Time will tell.

Another unsubstantiated rumor is that Manager has changed the lock on the pool bathroom — which residents use not only when at the pool but also when having to potty during events. Rather than travel all the way back to their units, they use the key we’ve all been issued to the pool bathroom.

Now I’m being told Manager has declared "It’s her bathroom", changed the locks, our keys will no longer give us access.

No matter to me, because I have never used that facility, prefer to rush back to my unit; but losing access because Manager wants it designated for her and office staff only, is just another bad look, a further thing to inflame the masses.

Heading back from running errands on Wednesday, I ran into Hubba Hubba Awooga Silver Fox, who I’d not seen out and about since May.

It’s funny how the Law of Attraction works. When I was interested in him, I’d run into him every time I stepped out the door, but the second I lost interest, the invisible energy that was drawing us together ceased operating and I no longer saw him out/about.

Poor man looked terrible …… Lost weight, hair now more gray than silver, seems to have aged. Four months isn’t that long for so much change to have occurred.

"Long time no see", said I.

"I’ve been in the hospital a couple times".

"Oh my gosh, why, what happened?".

"Diverticulitis".

He explained to me what that is and spoke as though he thought he might not be much longer for this world …… said something about he’s just not the same, having a hard time adjusting to becoming old, that we all have to go eventually, that he’s prepared and at peace with whatever.

(Nurse DrumMajor: Is diverticulitis a death sentence?)

It’s scary seeing how being hospitalized changes folks, and not for the better.

24 comments:

  1. It sounds like he had a severe case that knocked the wind out of his sails. I hope he recovers fully and becomes more hopeful again. That management could have been sued any number of times since I’ve known you. As a matter fact, I think they’re legally required to provide toilet facilities for users of the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about management might be legally required. I'm going to research that, ask around. Maybe we can cut her off at the pass.

      Delete
    2. That’s the law here (Andalusia). But, I remember it being a legal requirement when we lived in an apartment complex in Irvine AND when we had a townhouse in Santa Barbara. All before 2011.

      Delete
    3. Turns out you were right ... "In California, public swimming pools are required to have bathrooms". Now I have to verify we no longer have access and, if so, figure out a way to surreptitiously let Manager know she's breaking the law.

      Delete
  2. "Manager has declared "It’s her bathroom"".
    It's seems like every new staff is crazier than the previous staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth. Good help is hard to find these days.

      Delete
  3. Not having a bathroom close to the pool could become a health issue if someone decides to use the pool pee in instead of going to their apartment. You know it's going to happen especially if grandkids use the pool. Someone should tell the management that need to start testing the water more often. Maybe she'd rethink her selfishness in locking the bathroom. Might even be a law against not having a working bathroom near a public pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since learned there is a law against not having a working bathroom near public pools. She'd best start thinking twice about some of her spur of the moment decisions.

      Delete
  4. "It's the Manager's Bathroom?"
    Oh.Hell.No. Unless she lives at the pool it would be the pool bathroom and usable by anyone who has a right to use the pool. That b .... woman best be careful.
    Do not make me come out there and rattle some cages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not anymore. Mitchell was right .... the law says she has to provide a bathroom at the pool. I just have to make sure she's actually done what's being said, then find a way to drop an anonymous note that she's bruising for a cruising ... not just a lawsuit, but you coming all the way to California to kick her arse, LOL.

      Delete
  5. Long illnesses can sure take it out of you, that's for sure.
    I hope they do put a refrigerator in there for the residents and that Baker will start doing her Bingo again. I'm sure some of the residents like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the old folks really love their bingo, especially the prizes.

      Delete
  6. I still can't believe the pettiness of locking a refrigerator, and now the pool potty too? I'd probably start wielding the l-word too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out, there's no law against locking the refrigerator, but there is one that says she can't lock us out of the pool bathroom.

      Delete
  7. Diverticulitis can be taken care of with diet and non-smoking. It can recur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he was a smoker. Had I known that, I probably never would have been interested. He did say he's trying to eat better, give up smoking.

      Delete
  8. The "L" word doing the trick is fine, even when it isn't acted upon, if it gets the desired results, booyah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something management does here ending up in Corporate being involved in a lawsuit would definitely terrify management. In fact, the Two Dolls supporter that lives around the corner told me that, after the meeting, Head Maintenance Guy said, "Once the word lawsuit is mentioned, we can no longer talk to you". But I bet, they're probably busting their butts to get that resident's floor taken care of now.

      Delete
  9. That may not be a "public" pool, but a private apartment complex. Similar to parking lots not being "public" but private for who owns the store. Old folks have enough trouble going to the bathroom on time in their own homes, much less around a pool. Put a urinal in the fridge, marked "for pool pee." A few dirty diapers strewn in the trash near the office would be good.
    Diverticulitis is rarely a death sentence. Most people get their regularly=scheduled colonoscopies, and can catch some signs before bad crampy symptoms. Sounds like his came on quickly, and it sometimes leads to cancer. He probably has a few other things going on: comorbidities is usually noted in the chart. Hope he can recover and stay comfortable.
    Skelly looks cute on the workout machine! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can tell, her taking away the pool bathroom, at a complex this large, is a building code violation. As for the pool pee urinal ... LOL, you are so extra. Silver Fox seems to be carrying a lot of regrets for past deeds and choices, plus worry because of the political scene, this illness may be tipping the iceberg, but good to know not a death sentence.

      Delete
  10. Diverticulitis can kill if the infection spreads to other parts of the body, which I have known to happen, especially in elderly people who don't take care of themselves. One thing leads to another, and the older body just can't fight it off like it did when younger. On the other hand, diverticulitis can be managed. I've known people who live a long life with the condition. Diet and exercise can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, he can snap out of his morose, do what's necessary to take care of self, adjust to his new normal.

      Delete
  11. So will people now be peeing in the pool then? Just asking.......roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. But seriously, if they can't get out of the pool and to their unit fast enough, it may happen.

      Delete