Friday, September 5, 2025

Hippy Dippy

Today was the event I was unclear as to whether it's a Labor Day Luncheon or Bingo with Lunch at noon. So, I suited up and headed down early, to scope out the scene, see which it was and if it was something I wanted to get involved in.

Early being 11 a.m. wasn’t early enough because, standing outside the door peering in, I saw residents already seated.

I didn’t see any bingo cards, so I decided to step through the door, spend time in the free A/C and, as I entered, who did I see seated right next to the entrance but Meat Man — the resident who so annoyed former resident Home Girl. She'd moved out and to Sacramento in October ’24 to be closer to family.

Long time readers might recall when formerly named Handsome Man, here on the blog, was downgraded to Meat Man because, at Pizza Tuesday, he had flirted with Home Girl in a disrespectful manner ... when the then Activity Director asked what kind of pizza he wanted, he’d responded "Meat", then looked at Home Girl (who had enormous boobs and an equally enormous behind) in a leering manner and added "Because I like meat".

Thereafter, every time Home Girl ran into him, she went out of her way to be rude, show her disgust and, in camaraderie, I renamed him Meat Man, LOL.

So, anyway, Meat Man had never crossed the line with me, Home Girl is no longer living here for me to support her, so I sat down and, in between my moving around snapping photos for the Residents’ FB page, Meat Man and I chatted.

I did tell him that he’d been persona non grata for a while because of his sleezy approach to Home Girl and, rascal that he is, he laughed and laughed and laughed, saying "Well, I do like meat".

You can’t stay upset with a good-natured bad boy who knows he’s bad and is proud of it.

I ended up taking a photo with him.


Residents are gonna talk.

I didn’t see much Labor Day in the event. It was more like a birthday bash for the Baker ... the room decorated in colors and items she likes.


I was asked to sign cards for two others, so I guess those two lucked up to be included in such an elaborate birthday party as, normally, they would have just gotten cake and an off-tune song at bingo.

Lunch looked to be Spanish themed, but I didn’t stick around long enough to see exactly what was on the table. I just took a few photos, chatted with Meat Man, headed back to my never-ending needlepoint project, and other stuff.

I imagine Talker will take over where I left off, send me photos of the cakes and video of the singing to post.

During the week, having decided I wasn’t happy with that pouch I’d made for the medical device, I flashed back to the Hippy Dippy days when Indian styled medicine bags were the thing. Nixing the idea of replacing the rope with a chain, I picked up suede cord, wooden beads, and reworked the pouch into a medicine bag.


I can fit the entire device, rope and all into the bag and no problem being able to access the button through the bag.

Much more stylish, hippy dippy type jewelry and, with plans to make a neutral faux leather version that will go with every outfit, I won’t have to make more than just the two medicine bags.

MEME OF THE DAY


34 comments:

  1. OMG, thanks for the chuckle at your cartoon ending your post! What a mess we are in! I bumped into your blog from "This and That" and was intrigued by your comment about being hot and muggy. I had to visit your blog to see where you were. I enjoyed reading about you and your blogging past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard, and this administration is good for giving us things to laugh at through the pain. I'm located in California, Newsom territory, so you're likely to see some of his memes taunting Two Dolls Donnie in the future.

      Delete
  2. I like the medicine bag variant that you came up with. The fabric is joyous, the beading detail and the suede cord coordinate well. It is of a piece. It has style and interest - unlike the gray plastic blob it conceals.

    Stay tuned for Shirley's launch on Project Runway.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you remember the Hippy Dippy Weatherman on Saturday Night Live? First thing I thought of. I love the new hippy dippy bag, can't wait to see it in faux leather. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't recall the Hippy Dippy Weatherman. Maybe because I didn't pay much attention to SNL until Eddie Murphy got casted, did that bit about his landlord, lost interest after Eddie left, rarely watch now.

      Delete
    2. I thought it over - The Hippy Dippy Weatherman was George Carlin, the comedian, not SNL

      Delete
    3. I looked up Carlin doing the HDW and can't say I've ever seen it. Seems the show ran from '67 to '71, years when I was busy surviving life, too chaotic and busy for much tv.

      Delete
  4. You have entered the danger zone with your pic on Meat Man's lap. Maybe if you push the button in your cool pouch, help will arrive? Otherwise, you could just add some green stuff in that pouch, eh? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣🤣🤣 But, I'm so far ahead of Meat Man, in every aspect, that he's the one that needs to see the danger sign. He's just lucky that I long ago put him not exactly in the friend zone, but in the just someone I occasionally enjoy talking to zone.

      Delete
  5. I love the hippie dippie look.

    Oh wait, this isn’t a joke? There you have it!

    — moving with mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some call it Boho, but I'm going with how we called it back in the day ... hippy dippy, LOL. And future generations, reading about this era in their history books, are not gonna believe this wasn't a joke.

      Delete
  6. I love the medicine bag idea! You are so creative! Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a while to figure out how to disguise the device in a way that felt right to me, but I got there with medicine bag.

      Delete
  7. Great idea to make one bag which you can wear with plain shirts and a second to go with patterned shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot less work than making multiple bags for each outfit.

      Delete
  8. You could start a cottage industry making medicine bags for seniors. I might have to make myself one for the coming holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my. Tongues will wag! I like the hippy dippy look. I kinda wish I lived there. I would love to have one of the names you give to people I wonder what it would be.🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure folks are wondering. In fact, Dream Lover walked over, introduced himself to Meat Man, asked his name, shock his hand. That was sus. As for your name, I call 'em as I see 'em, so you'd probably be the Lady with Horses 🐎🙂.

      Delete
  10. You did a great job on the medicine bag -- the suede cord and wooden beads are so much more stylish & sturdy than a chain. Between your NHL voodoo dolls and these medicine pouches, Shirley, you could launch a profitable ETSY site!

    And that's not how I pictured Meat Man or Dream Lover, but then I forget you're living in a seniors' complex, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So now I'm curious. How did you picture the guys?

      Delete
    2. As tall, athletic guys in their 50's that are clean-cut and very well dressed -- the type that most queenagers would be ga-ga over, LOL!

      Delete
    3. Ha! I wish, but we get what we get in low-income housing.

      Delete
  11. That's a great picture of you with Meat Man. I'm sure people are going to talk. That will be fun. You'll be the center of all kinds of gossip. I like what you did with the bag to hide the device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very surprised Talker and the Baker haven't already asked me what's up with that. I guess they know me well enough to know I would never with him, that I'm kind of a kidder, like to joke around and that I've previously voiced that I basically see him as the friendly neighborhood cock hound.

      Delete
  12. Oh my. Nearly B&B porn! But rest easy, girl, you are forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well it’s a cute set up anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the newer residents loves to decorate for the various events and does a fabulous job. We're lucky to have her.

      Delete
  14. I don't know if it's just me but I am having a hard time reaching your site these days, I get a young woman who has horses.
    Please consider an ( Apple or other) watch. I am 80 and just got mine, it's so very easy. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your having trouble reaching my site doesn't surprise me. So much that seems wrong is going on with blogger lately.

      Delete