Checking every day last week with Walgreen’s, where vaccine and appointments were available, but just not in my area; while simultaneously checking Costco for vaccine availability, on Saturday I saw that Costco finally showed "vaccine available" and immediately began the process of snagging an appointment.
I was ready to get it done that day, Saturday, but today was the earliest appointment day available and, thus far, there are only three appointments available per day — 10:15 am, 10:30 am, 10:45 am.
That seems strange and, to me, reads as an indication of there might not be a lot of vaccine available, they are limiting how much they use in a day to make what they have last until more becomes available.
At any rate, I was lucky to have snagged the 10:45 am at not my regular Costco, but a different Costco within driving distance.
So, not only are appointments limited to 3 slots per day, not all the local Costco’s have vaccine available.
I guess we can thank JFK, Jr. for the chaos, but at least I got it done.
The price went up a bit — from $139.99 last year to $141.99, not reimbursable by my medical provider, but it is what it is.
Once the friendly pharmacist jabbed my arm, complimented me in "looking so good for my age", to which I replied, "Divine Grace, the Grace of God", I browsed the holiday decoration isle. Halloween was up one isle, Christmas down the other side, with Halloween already sold out on some decorations.
I don’t need any more decorations; actually, I don’t have room for anything other than the usual spiderweb stuff and a pumpkin for my skeleton to trick or treat with, but I still like to look at what’s out there.
This was cute ……
I did actually think about buying it for the great grandkids, but I don’t think I’ll make it down that way by Halloween. In fact, who knows when I’ll make it down that way again (Long Beach). Hopefully, it’s before they forget I even exist.
Driving back into the complex, I drove past what looked to be a uniformed caregiver pushing a woman in a wheelchair, with another woman following carrying groceries.
I flashed back to just yesterday, when seeing Not Dead Nancy’s next-door neighbor out and about, asked if Nancy had returned, she'd said "Yes. She's in a wheelchair now".
For newer readers, Not Dead Nancy is thus named because, at one time, we had two Nancys — a Black one and a White one. When the White one passed away and there were conversations where the name Nancy was mentioned, the talker clarified which by saying, "The Nancy that’s not dead".
Not Dead Nancy came to us from New York, and was a hoot and a holler with her relationship with the financially well off alcoholic resident, who passed away, and her pursuit of other males on the complex after he was gone. Like the time she walked up to my old buddy Apache, asked "Do you need a girlfriend?", LOL.
NDN was bold, brash and a lot of fun until, in 2021, she suddenly disappeared. When asking if she'd moved, I was told she'd been hospitalized.
Since then, asking about Nancy, it's been that she’s been in/out of hospitals, for what I never knew, but was technically still a resident here.
Yesterday, seeing Nancy's next-door neighbor when I went to pick up mail, I was told Nancy was back, but was now wheelchair bound. I thought to pay her a visit, but had not yet gotten around to it.
Driving past that group with a woman in a wheelchair got me to thinking, "Is that Nancy?".
I hurried up to park, fast walked to catch up with the group, arrived at Nancy’s door just after the group had entered, called out to her.
What I saw was heartbreaking. I didn’t recognize her. The voice was the same, but gone was the vibrant fit Nancy I knew. She’s aged considerably, but that's understandable because illness will do that to a body. I know when I have a gut episode, the constant discomfort begins to take a toll on my body, I begin to look and feel worn down, ratchet.
When telling Nancy that I've not seen her in four years, she said she kept getting hospitalized but had seen me in the Community Room a few weeks ago.
I didn't remember seeing Nancy in the room but later, after thinking about it, I flashed back to that Pizza Tuesday when the seniors were arguing, I’d seen what I took to be a new resident in a wheelchair at the door, told everyone to not fight in front of company, THAT WAS NANCY!
OMG! I didn’t even recognize her and they wheeled her right by me, which tells you how much she's changed.
I don’t think I’ll be visiting Nancy again. It hurts my heart to see her the way she now is. In fact, right now, I’m feeling a throbbing sensation on my left temple, like a lopsided headache.
Is that from the shock of seeing Nancy looking nothing like the Nancy I knew, or from this morning’s vaccine ?????.
So far, the arm only hurts when I move it.
Sad that once people get sick they seem to age quite dramatically. And a shame that she lost her zest!
ReplyDeleteWe used to have two Rebecca's at a job I had and no one knew who you were talking about so I suggested one we simply calls Rebecca and the other, who was constantly getting a spray tan, I suggested the name Orange Rebecca.
I thought it worked well.
She hasn't lost her lust for males, said she'd fallen in love with the doctor that did her back surgery, to which I replied, "You always did like the men". She laughed, the woman with her (her daughter?) nodded in agreement. Spray Tan ... Orange ... speaks the name for itself, LOL.
DeleteI'm sorry to hear about Not Dead Nancy. Very sad. But I am happy to hear you got shot!
ReplyDeleteI saw a meme today that says "When I take advice from a former heroin addict, it will be from Keith Richards, not rfk jr. "
Jr. vs Keith Richards, Keith gets my vote. Just the look of RFK Jr's diseased looking self makes me feel unhealthy.
DeleteI walked into my Giant Eagle supermarket/pharmacy and got my flu shot and covid booster. Was in and out in 10 minutes. That's where I get my meds filled so they have all my information. No appointment needed. It's only 5 minutes from home, which is a plus. Thankfully, it's free d/t my insurance. No thanks to that heroin addict.
ReplyDeleteThat was some 'Nancy Story'. I'd never heard of 'Not Dead Nancy'. Sad.
What's 'Hell on Wheels' up to these days?
Paranormal John
That was super convenient to be able to get everything done all at once like that. I guess you missed the August 15 update on HOW .... about how she was temporarily placed in a nursing home due to sciatic so bad that she can't stand, and how she gave the Baker a key to her unit to water the plants, and Baker opened the door, was met with stuff everywhere and hordes of flies. It’s posted as August 15, The Week that was. HOW has not yet returned, but we think she eventually will. Just going through a rough patch right now.
DeleteWow. Yes, I apparently did miss that posting on HOW. Well, I feel sorry for her as I was in physical therapy for a month last winter for sciatica. It was so bad I could not stand up straight. I even had to shower bent over. I truly thought I was going to be in a wheelchair. Thankfully after a month of PT and meds, my disc realigned the and nerve pressure subsided. Yikes! She has my sympathy. HOW's apartment sounds 'interesting'...wonder what was in those files??
DeleteParanormal John
It wasn't files, like Epstein, LOL. It was a horde of disease carrying flies. Baker said they were flying around inside the unit, were piled up at the window, like in a horror movie, and she couldn't find bug spray. I don't know how HOW and her caregivers managed in a unit filled with too much stuff and insects.
DeleteGood Lord! I need my eye's checked! FLIES...EWWW! I won't even ask what they were sitting! My imagination has already made me ill. Sounds like the Health Dept. might need a visit if it's that bad. Pity her caregivers...for a lot of reasons! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I bet the Epstein files are filthier, though!! Esp. with a certain name stinking up the mess...and we know it's there...multiple times!
DeleteParanormal John
Moving Ghislaine more than solidified what we already knew. Next, they'll bring Epstein back from the dead to testify Donald Two Dolls is not on the list.
DeleteSo sad how illness changes us. Especially sad is that it takes your personal energy and zest for life. Does she know she’s known as Not Dead Nancy? Clearly it’s better than being known as Dead Nancy. Glad you got your shot. Can’t believe the cost. Out of pocket here, if we do it that way, costs less than $15.
ReplyDelete🤣but no, she doesn't know NDN is how she's referred to, more like WAS referred to as those who referred to her as thus are long gone. She's been absent so long that it's only a handful of us old timers who even know she exists. Since seeing Nancy in her current state, an old movie that demonstrates how illness changes us has been running through my head ... Mrs. Skeffington, starring Betty Davis. Have you seen it?
DeleteThat is sad. I haven't known anyone here long enough for that to happen but I've come to realize there are several residents I've never seen because they don't or aren't able to leave their apartment. So sad.
ReplyDeleteWe have a lot of those shut-ins here as well. One is the nice old guy living directly across from me. I keep an eye on his blinds opening/closing. It lets me know he's still alive.
DeleteYou had to pay for the vaccine? That's too bad. I guess the government has pulled the medicare reimbursement. Our insurance picked up the cost for us (or I guess they did) as CVS just waved us right in on Thursday and gave us the vaccinations. We were told that was the first day they had been given the billing clearance and so had opened up their appointments.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking your Costco doesn't have someone available at all days and times to do the vaccinating so set the few appointments for each day to fit their schedule.
The fact that my medical provider is Kaiser is why I pay out-of-pocket. It would be a hassle to get them to allow Costco, or any other pharmacy, to process through Medicare. That's a possibility about not having someone available. Would be hard to believe there's a shortage of pharmacist, but who knows with this administration chasing valuable persons out of the country.
DeleteRe paying for vaccination-it was my understanding that flashing a basic Medicare card meant the cost of the shot was covered.
ReplyDeleteNot when my medical provider (Kaiser) runs interference.
DeleteNice work to get your vax. Even the Evil Kennedy is still supposed to have Medicare pay for the shot. Won't Costco bill Medicare? NDN sounds like a friend of my parents: she was mostly paralyzed, undergoing a med procedure. The young doc asked her if he could do anything else for her before she was sedated. She said, "Marry me!" Yea, it's rough to see people age so much. Just don't move your arm, then it won't hurt. Ice is good. Still feels better than a metal trach piece down your throat to breathe went you have covid or flu.THAT's inconvenient. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteCostco has to get approval from my provider, who refused to pay for my getting Moderna at Costco, even though they only do Pfizer. So being told the provider would also have to authorize going through Medicare ... let's just say I didn't want to put myself through the hassle.
DeleteI prefer Pfizer to Moderna as the only time I had a slight injection site soreness was with Moderna. Luckily, all Canadian provinces and territories (except Alberta) still provide Covid and seasonal flu vaccinations for free, as they do with childhood vaccines. Even my pneumonia vaccine last year was only $20. Optional vaccines such as Shingrix (to prevent shingles) or Arexvy (to prevent RSV) are are $150 - $250 each.
ReplyDeleteArexvy here is $321.99. Canada is offering a better deal, plus you are not living with the embarrassment of having Donald Two Dolls running the country.
DeleteAdvice from a smart-ass doctor, "Don't move it." Having reached a healthy but ravaged 85, I know how things can change. In my case, not suddenly. But I'm getting rid of clothes that were a bit tight when I was 70 pounds heavier and now are so loose I look like Mick Jagger in them.
ReplyDeleteIt only hurt that first day. I remember it as being worse last year. Baggie clothes, that distressed look, is the thing these days, LOL.
Delete