Saturday, December 26, 2020

Stream of Consciousness

My sabbatical from the outside world ─ three whole days inside, Friday through Sunday, no training, no off-premises errands, nothing to do, nowhere to go until Monday, is flying by way too fast.

It’s Saturday and my head is torturing me with chanting “Monday is coming”. Which is something it used to do on weekends when I had to go to work the upcoming Monday.

Retired now, having to get dressed, leave the unit for to-do’s and training is beginning to feel like a job that begins on Monday, ends on Friday. Consequently, I'm dreading Mondays again.

At any rate, I had a list of inside purging projects I’d planned to take care of, but never got around to because I spent Christmas Day sitting on the couch, online shopping, needlepointing and watching Christmas movies.

Not the sickly-sweet ones that I can’t stomach. My watch list is more along the lines of the naughty and macabre.

That being Bad Santa 1 and 2, which is a sick movie I find so hilariously funny that, though I’ve viewed countless times before, I still laugh and am appalled at some of the scenes as though it’s all brand new and, thus far, I watched Billy Bob Thornton in one of his more disgusting portrayals, twice more as the station ran it back-to-back.

Then there were a few Homicide for the Holidays real-life crime dramas, showing family on family, friends on friends, and good deeds ending badly crimes.

Some heavy-duty stuff there, but I balanced it out by watching Love Actually, where Walking Dead Rick was shown clean shaven and English handsome.



Just look at that smooth face of his. Talk about something being pretty perfect.

I can’t imagine it’s still that way after working in the hot Georgia sun, filming Walking Dead.

Also, I further balanced out the naughty and macabre with Home Alone 1 and Alone 2 (Lost in New York).

I don’t know if Apache’s six-feet apart get together took off, as I didn’t go outside to check.

Thankfully, the power company removed us from the PSPS list, so I was able to make tamales after all. However, not trusting it, I dumbed the recipe down to where I only made six ─ nothing in the freezer for a handy meal, but that six was enough for lunch, dinner with a small salad, and breakfast with an egg this morning.

Actually, the process of making tamales for a single individual was easy breezy compared to making dozens.

I didn’t even measure, just tossed masa flour in the mixer, added water until the consistency felt right, let it rest while the corn husks soaked and, after spreading and tossing in a little left-over chicken and onion-free garlic-free taco sauce, steamed ‘em and voilá.


Easy breezy and, unlike the folks I saw on ABC’s newsfeed, risking infection by standing in line for three-hours to purchase pre-made masa, this single serving method will be my preferred tamale-making process henceforth.


After years of practice in swallowing and pushing down, I was also able to swallow, push down and rise above the hurt I was feeling for Anjanette Young being so cruelly handled by the Chicago PD and the city’s attorneys.

I guess it's a little like the steps involved in the loss/grief process.

That last post, I was in the depression stage. Now, I don't like it, I'll never like incidents such as that, but I'm at the acceptance stage. It is what it is but, insofar as the "hope" stage, my only hope is that she gets a settlement that will bankrupt the city, put a hurt on the police department's budget and the individual cops involved.

This morning, watching news about No. 45 on the golf course, while the moratorium on evictions is coming to an end, unemployment benefits are ending, and no aid from the government in sight, I can’t but wonder how many who voted him into office are feeling now, as some of them must be amongst the citizenry being impacted even some of those proud boys. And if not them, personally, their family members must be struggling, suffering as a result of what their idol is doing and failing to do.

Do those idiots now, in hindsight, see how they’ve been scammed?

Do they now understand that instead of draining the swamp, he brought the swamp with him?

Are they now realizing he doesn’t care about them, only about what benefits him?

And speaking of realizing ... now that I’m aware Biden is against the death penalty, and may well abolish it altogether, I’m not entirely happy that I voted for him. But, with the only other option being four more years of No. 45, I'll just have to live with it and work myself through the anger process if No. 46 does follow through and abolishes the death penalty.


My last stream of consciousness is about that Nashville Bombing. The news indicated evacuate orders were coming from that RV and from responding police officers. One guy was walking his dog and, when told by an officer to get off the streets/evacuate, his response was “Why? Why should I evacuate”.

Fortunately, he survived because the cop pushed him inside a building just as the explosion went off, but what a complete arse to question why.

You wouldn’t have had to tell me twice.

Act first, question later.

17 comments:

  1. hope anjanette kicks chicago's ass! NO ONE should have THAT happen to them!

    the evacuation guy must be a MAGAt, a special kind of stupid.

    and the MAGAts don't care if glorious leader screws them over; they will DIE for him! it's a badass cult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cop should have grabbed the dog, saved it (news didn't indicate what happened to the dog), and let stupid stand on the sidewalk asking why as the explosion happened and he got his answer the hard way.

      Delete
  2. The RV: This afternoon they are saying the RV was stolen. I spent my holiday much like you. Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thus far, the RV incident isn't making a lot of sense. Happy Safe Holiday to you and The Man as well.

      Delete
  3. I've always meant to watch both "Bad Santa" movies, but so far never have. I'm sure they'd be "my" kind of movies too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe catch next year. In spite of being both funny and disgusting, it's surprisingly heartwarming.

      Delete
  4. I watched some True Crime stuff on Christmas too... I couldn't get thru any of the Classics that I would normally enjoy, with Camp Comedy. I've never liked the saccharine sweet ones. There was a new show I enjoyed of a British couple who've bought a run down Chateau in France they're restoring and living in, it looks like a Castle, resplendent with Moat. She's very Artsy, he looks much Older and is very DIY and they have Two small Children. I Love to hear of a good Restoration of a Historic Structure and have fantasized about owning a Ruin of a Castle, so I could vicariously Live it out thru this Show and hope not to miss any Episodes. They were putting in a see-thru Elevator in one of the Turret Towers and Decorating around it on every Floor in a Cabinet of Curiosities Style with Funky Art... right up my Alley. Then they had a Christmas Feast that was very Mad Tea Party... I'd like these people! *LOL* Bill Bob Thornton does a lot of edgy Movies and I like that about him, loved him in Bad Santa and in Slingblade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading a news article about that Chateau, I checked out their youtube channel, but couldn't get through the introductory episode. She just kept talking and talking and talking. I'm sure things livened up and became interesting in further episodes, but if something doesn't grab me in the first few minutes, I'm out. LOL.

      Delete
    2. I guess I missed that 1st Episode where she was chatty. I didn't even see the entire Episode I watched, Channel surfing found it and drew me in... that Chateau is like something out of a Medieval Storybook! Of coarse they didn't make it seem like all Enchantment, the amount of Flies that come out of the Wall and Die each Season was creepy in an Amityville Horror kind of way! *LOL*

      Delete
  5. I tried twice to post a comment. I think the first was too long and you did not want it but the other never got through.
    Anyway- I am glad you got to invent a tamale recipe which is easy and good for you so you can make it anytime. For me it would be a bit complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments not getting through, or getting kicked because long, sounds like an issue with this new format. I know I sometimes have problems posting, mostly when I want to add pics and vids. Fortunately, I code and can usually go into the background and rewrite the html. Insofar as comments, I wouldn't know how to fix that, but whatever the problem will probably mysteriously clear itself up, just as mysteriously as it appeared.

      Delete
  6. May the upcoming year be an improvement. Happy New Year to you.

    New Format: I can't get my picture header fully across the top of my blog now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, getting the header to fit is now also a problem.

      Delete
  7. You should do a post today, 12-31, on your blog with your new meme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm convinced everyone who thought Trump meant to drain the swamp was really hoping to swim in it with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the treasonous activities now going on, by Rethuglians, to change outcome of the election, no doubt about it.

      Delete