Sunday, December 20, 2020

E-Z Build

Binge watching the Food Network’s Christmas Cookie Challenge ─ all the episodes leading up to tonight’s final episode, inspired me to pull out that E-Z Build chocolate cookie train I’d purchased, give it a go.

Actually, it was not that E-Z.

Maybe it’s just me, but I found the instructions and diagram confusing.

So confusing that, halfway through, I realized I’d built the engine incorrectly, had to take the first car apart and rebuild.

I also had problems with the icing provided, in that it became dry, crumbly, did not hold well.

Inasmuch as, when I last decluttered, I’d tossed all my icings because, due to the pandemic, I did not envision having cookie decorating activities around here for a long long time, I made a quick trip to the market for icing that would hold.

The market was a little crowded so, though I looked for Ginger the Elf while there, I didn’t dawdle or put much effort into it.

While checking out, having not found Ginger, I heard a little girl say, “I found the elf. It’s on the television”.

I turned and, sure enough.



I can’t believe I missed it.

Not only did I check that area, but Ginger’s face is on blast in the security camera.

No mask this time.

Christmas is Friday, after which Ginger will be going back to the North Pole, not to be seen for another year. So, I’ve got maybe one more trip to the market, one last shot to find her on my own, before end of the week.

Though I failed to find Ginger, I did see a guy wearing an iconic mask. A mask that totally epitomized what it means to be a Black Man in America.

I asked if I could take a photo.


Back at the complex, I started back in on that Not So E-Z Build and, besides wasting four hours of my life that could have been better served working on that needlepoint, the having to take it apart, rebuild, problems with that original icing, left me with a hot mess ... structurally sound, but icing everywhere.


Decorations provided in the kit, plus icings I’d picked up at the market, helped to cover some of the mess so, though the end result in no way resembles the train on the box, it’s not terrible.


If I try building anything next year, and I probably will, I’ll be sure to have freeze spray on hand.

Granddaughter also did a build this year. One that didn’t come from a kit, but from her creative mind.


I think quarantine life is getting to her.

Last but in no ways least, a notice was posted to our doors a few days ago to the effect “Management has been notified that an individual here has tested positive for Covid-19 and is under quarantine. We are following all laws and regulatory guidelines with respect to this situation, including privacy standards. We understand that it may be disconcerting not to have specific information about the individual impacted, however, we must respect the privacy of this person”.

It IS disconcerting not to know who. Makes me wonder about my immediate neighbors. Probably makes my immediate neighbors wonder about me. But now I have a reason, that won't hurt Apache's feelings, for my not attending his six-feet apart Christmas Day event. That being, I don’t know who the person is, who that person has been in contact with and, this being a windy area, six feet is not far enough for me.

10 comments:

  1. I've found that anything marked "E-Z" is not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe by this time next year, someone will come up with a "for dummies" build. LOL.

      Delete
  2. it is disgusting when a person of color has to beg police not to shoot. I h8 racism and I h8 white supremacists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sad commentary on the Black experience. I found myself later thinking about that young man, hoping the words on the mask work and he gets to live out his life.

      Delete
  3. The train is cute and you can't spend every creative moment on the needlepoint!
    I have found the best icing "glue" is mixing egg white with powdered sugar, it's super strong and dries to a lovely white colour.
    I hope more black men wear these masks. Make people think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powdered sugar and egg whites is a GREAT tip. Can't wait to try it and I'd love to see ALL Black men wearing that mask. I'd even wear one in solidarity.

      Delete
  4. We're well in to the 21st century now and its time for the racist nonsense to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people just don't learn. Consequently, the more things change, the more things remain the same.

      Delete
  5. I have never had any desire to make a structue out of gingerbread (or any other type of cookie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It wasn't planned. The desire just sorta slapped me in the face when I saw the cookie train in the drugstore.

      Delete