Thursday, April 2, 2020

You Can't Fix Stupid

I’d posted last week, after that to do with a longtime friend, because I purchased Guerrero tortillas instead of Romero — which company her husband delivers for, that the stress of this pandemic is causing normally nice people to lose their mind. And my reacting to their reacting, is making me mean.
When faced with stupid earlier in the day, I told myself not to think negatively about the individual, not post about what happened, let it go. But when stupid came for me a second time, a little while ago, I started typing.
Stupid No. 1 occurred while checking the mail box, dressed in mask and gloves (because the Governor said it's what we should do whenever outside). I observed another resident, also in mask and gloves — which indicated to me she knew enough of what’s going on to wear protection. She was standing at the door to the office, trying to get in.
Not only are the office doors locked, but those doors are plastered with all kinds of notices as to why and we all should know this by now.
She read the notices, turned to me and said, "They say the office is locked. How do we pay our rent?" 
"How to pay was in a notice posted to our doors", said I.
"They posted something to my door, but I didn’t read it", says she.
Seriously?
I can’t be bothered.
Reminded me of my irritations with Handsome Guy. More than a few times, when he heard we’d had a good time at an event, he’d say to me, "I didn’t know about it".
"It was listed on the Activity Calendar, which was posted to your door", I’d say and suggest he start reading the calendars.
I really can’t deal with other people’s nonsense right now, so instead of getting into a conversation instructing the resident to mail it in, I suggested it might be a good idea for her to go back to her unit, read that notice, then turned around and headed back to my unit
THEN, I get a notification someone had commented on the Residents Facebook page. It was a comment from the neighbor, across the quad, upstairs corner unit. She liked the photos of January’s winter crafts event — where we made flower pot snowmen, but added "I wasn’t invited. Would have been fun".
How friggin dare you, thought I. Then replied to her comment … "Everyone was invited. The event was listed on the Activity Calendar".
I realize you can’t fix stupid, but seriously, stupid people should have the decency to keep their stupidity to themselves.

7 comments:

  1. I was guilty of not reading some of the calendar of events for a while after I moved in, that is until I happened to notice the domino games and then realized I could miss other events I might really like. Now I'm wishing I had attended more of the events. At least I had the sense to blame myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be interesting to see, once we get through this, if events become a thing of the past.

      Delete
  2. To bad they didn't post those events for those people. OH, ... wait a minute...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We see a similar situation with church members who get a monthly newsletter with all sorts of information but don't read it, and then act surprised when they hear of something that was so plainly printed for their benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand and have lost my patience with these non-readers.

      Delete
  4. I was irritated by Stupid before the Times of Pandemic and now my intolerance only grows since Stupid can be even more Dangerous now to the rest of us! Sometimes I can't Let It Go either and Venting a bit helps to decompress after having dealt with Stupid... like my last Grocery Store foray where Stupid MF's didn't know what 6 Feet Distancing LOOKS like even while the Intercom announced it was a little more than a Grocery Cart's length from the next person! Plus they had SIGNS everywhere... Stupid probably can't Read either... or Process Verbal Instructions... just Guessing??? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete