Thursday, April 9, 2020

Not As Easy As It Looks

After several days of researching mask tutorials and gathering supplies — now at inflated prices, I finally decided on the Olson  pattern which, ironically, required only materials I already had on hand. With the new cross-contamination shopping rules, nothing of what I’d purchased can be returned — even if the package is unopened. 
Oh well.
Why I went with that pattern is because it looped behind the ear — which looked to be a lot more comfortable than the N95 respirator I’ve been wearing and the patterns requiring ties. Plus, there was a pocket to insert a filter, to make the make the mouth/nose area dust/pollution proof — a filter I’d read could be made from vacuum cleaner bags.
So on Wednesday, I began what was to be a 15 minute project. Five hours later …..


I'm happy with the results, but assembly was not near as easy as it was touted to be.
I decided to go for a second 15-minute mask. One hour later …

Denim

Assembly time much improved and I imagine, if I keep at it, I might get down to 15 minutes.
I was thinking of making a bunch and giving them away to anyone who wanted one, BUT then I ran across an online warning that filters made from vacuum cleaner bags are not safe. I forget what material made them not safe for humans to breath in, but didn’t matter. There is a lot of conflicting information out there, and I wasn’t going to risk it. Those bags are in the patio storage area, along with all the additional overpriced supplies that are not going to be used and can’t be returned
All was not lost, however, because I had the bright idea of inserting the N95 respirator I’d been wearing into the pocket.


Doesn’t get any more N95 compliant than that and, as you can see from the first photo, it holds up and covers very well.
However, I won’t be making a bunch for others because 1) I don’t have a bunch of N95 respirators to spare and 2) I didn’t find mask making fun. It’s back to my needlepoint project.
While we’re on the subject of masks, remember Twin 1’s especially made for her mask — the one I’d coveted?
I tracked down the maker and ordered a black one. What came in the mail was not the same as Twin 1's especially made mask, so I was a bit disappointed. Plus, I should have ordered a brighter color. I can't complain though because, though it was expensive and I was fully prepared to pay, when the maker learned I’m Twin 1’s mother, he gifted it to me.
SCORE!

Glittery

THEN, Twin 1 gets featured in Vogue, wearing the especially made for her mask and suddenly everyone wants one. The maker is producing more just like hers and I got word from Twin 1 that one for me is in the mail.  
DOUBLE SCORE!
I’m surprised Twin 1 ─ so focused on doing for others, actually came through for her dear old mom.
My supply of protective masks runneth over.

12 comments:

  1. Yours look far better than ours, but then we don't really sew and everything was hand-stitched. I'll post ours later today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handstitched is tough work. So kudos for that. Can't wait to see 'em.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful! All the work you did to create your own masks and now you have two great ones coming! The Vogue article is very good, I know you worry about her but you ( and the family) have to be very proud too.
    Let's see you in the glam mask, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just picked up the glam mask in today's mail and it's FABULOUS! Will post day or so.

      Delete
  3. Do you really like wearing the masks? You don't feel like you're about to smother? Also, does that glittery one wash? You are supposed to wash them after each wearing. Seems to just be more laundry to me! I am very opposed to these masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't mind wearing. I see people without. Don't know if it's by choice or can't find one, but to each their own. I feel grateful I have protection. Did not feel like about to smothered. Breathing was normal. And having options allows me to switch masks, as one is being washed (yes, the black one as well).

      Delete
  4. I'm still isolated in the nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your FIVE HOURS LATER comment on the 15 Minute Mask had me rolling! Score on the Two Gifted Masks that Twin 1's Connections were so Generous to give you. I've thought about making a Mask, I have some Dia de los Muertos Fabrics that I think would bring great Irony to a Pandemic Mask, but mebbe that's too much Gallow's Humor for Public wear, I dunno? *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently saw a facebook posting where a woman made a mask in seconds out of a sock. And yes, it might be too soon for dia de los Muertos fabric in public right now, when things are so raw. Folks seem to be more uptight than usual, not much sense of humor about anything, taking offense so easily. But, in the final analysis, it's your right to do you.

      Delete
  6. I've got some old dust masks from my workshop that I'm using. I didn't realize how small they were. They're hard to keep on for more than 5 minutes without them sliding one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small? Sliding? You're gonna need a bigger mask … or duct tape it to your face. LOL.

      Delete