Monday, April 20, 2020

No Mask No Service

Ventured out today for a run to the drug store. While checking out, I saw two rough looking women walk in.
I didn’t even notice they weren’t wearing masks, which is a requirement when out and about in this county. But evidently somebody did, and quickly did, because they were barely inside when two big mask wearing security type guys came out of nowhere and one said, “You can’t come in here without a mask”.
The women didn’t look happy.
The older one started rummaging around in her jacket pocket, as though she had one in her pocket and was going to put it on. Then, not finding it, turned around and walked out.
I thought to get her mask from the car.
The younger one had to be told twice to leave. It took one of the big guys walking towards her, holding up his hand in a halt position, before she turned round, said something under her breath and stormed out.
“It’s so hard to get people to follow the rules”, said I to the cashier. “They’re not even supposed to be outside without a mask”, I went on to say. The young cashier just nodded.
Once I was outside, heading to the car, I saw the women get in a truck and drive away.
So no mask in the car? That rummaging around was a pretense?
At any rate, I don’t know where they think they’re going around here that they can get in without a mask. Any old thing will do. I’ve seen people with a simple bandana tied around their nose/mouth area, so rule following is just not that difficult.
Elsewhere, we’re coming up on another Pizza Tuesday, so I imagine Activity Director will be set up outside with pizzas, etc., for the seniors tomorrow. In addition to which, arrangements have been made for the lower income residents to receive weekly boxes of food.
I have to give it to them, whoever “they” are, because they really take good care of old people in this county. And not just during this pandemic, but all year round.
I’m fortunate in that I don’t need assistance, but it’s nice to know that, if something goes sideways, the assistance is there.
I’ve lost track of what week this is of the shutdown … fifth or sixth or seventh, but a text from Trainer indicates he might be back in business soon.
First notification was by mid April, then it got extended to an unknown date. Now, if there’s not another extension, he can do one-on-one personal training May 4th, while group sessions remain up in the air.
I seriously doubt 5Ks will be allowed until maybe next year, but Virtual Races are popping up all over. So, it looks like that’s the future of 5Ks, 10Ks, and Marathons ... Virtual.
Oh, and btw, if you were wondering ... that penny is going into Week 5, still in place. LOL.

12 comments:

  1. I think the penny is glued down! Some years ago we came upon a slightly more valuable coin in London and it was glued down hard!
    Good news about the pizzas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep us updated on the penny for sure.

    I would volunteer to be a security guard at someplace if I got to kick people out that didn't have masks on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm speculating now that Penny has to be Glued down? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only other places I had heard that masks are required in California were San Francisco and Los Banos, a very small town on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley that has lots of people from Santa Clara (a hot spot) living there.

    I wore a mask for the first time today when I went grocery shopping and hated every single minute of it. I can't wear my glasses with the mask as they are too big. Terry and I wouldn't even have masks if one of my blogging buddies hadn't sent two for us to use. That was so sweet of her as I had not even been looking for masks. No requirement here in our towns for masks, and there is even talk of opening some businesses. I think it's too soon, but I still see no need for the masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can wear my glasses with the two masks I made, but breath escapes causing glasses to fog up with the glitter one. I for one feel safer with a mask and am glad it's a requirement here.

      Delete
  5. Here's the deal ... they think their freedumbs [spelling is correct]are being infringed upon but what about MY freedom to protect myself from getting sick.
    Wear an effing mask. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. It's just not that big an imposition, compared to the alternative of getting sick, getting someone else sick.

      Delete
  6. Are you planning to do the one on one training as soon as Trainer offers it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. Can't wait. Especially since just read article where UVa researcher said regular exercise could protect against covid.

      Delete