Saturday, March 7, 2020

Shamrock 5K

This morning’s 5K ─ hosted by a Sorority, though not the most fun I’ve had participating in a run/walk, turned out better than I’d expected.
The participants were indeed much younger than I, but not the “silly fraternity girls (and boys) dancing prancing running the course in seconds, leaving my old arse behind” I’d expected.
There actually weren’t that many running the course. Instead, it was mostly walkers AND quite a few of those walkers were slowing me down with their casual strolling as though they had all day to get around the course.
I managed to get around the slowpokes, leave ‘em in my dust as I paced myself on to a 58:31 finish.
The course was three 1.04 mile loops around a particular area of the campus ─ mostly asphalt road, which pounding away on asphalt left me stiff and sore all over. Just short of halfway through, I noticed a group of healthy-looking young men were cheating ─ taking a shortcut to the finish line after having completed nowhere near the required three loops.
Boo for them and, because there were timer chips in our race bibs, cheating won’t get them higher placement in the results. They did, of course, get to the finish line long before me, but the results should show less than the required 3.12 miles ... positioning them well behind me or incomplete, I hope.
Other young fit walkers, didn’t even finish the course. Some dropped out after the first mile, some after the second so that, by the time of the third and final lap, there were darn few of us participants still on the course.
Upon crossing the finish line, there were no medals given because ─ Sorority.
However, special medals went to the top 3 men and women, age 18 and over, rather than the usual top men/women in varying age groups, which meant the six medal winners were all 18/20 somethings because ─ Sorority.
I wasn’t terribly disappointed, as I did at least get a tee-shirt and the feeling of accomplishment at having finished.



There was no entertainment along the course because ─ Sorority. But there was music, Starbucks Coffee, donuts (I passed), a Spirit Team and a Cheer Squad at the finish line.



All in all, it was an okay 5K. I’d do it again. And though I’m stiff and sore now, I’m game to go Beast mode, head back to campus tomorrow ─ for a much slower paced walk ... that is if it doesn’t rain, which it now looks to be threatening.
Next up is San Diego’s Hot Chocolate 5K.
I don’t care much for San Diego, plus travel is too difficult with my gut issues, not to mention booking myself into a hotel during this Covid thing is not smart. The race organizers must be taking Covid into consideration as well because, for the first time, they’re offering a virtual ... and a whole lot of swag (medal AND a jacket instead of a tee).
Sweet!

7 comments:

  1. What do you mean you passed on the donut?! Say it ain't so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for donuts when there's delicious Starbucks coffee to be had :-)

      Delete
  2. Are you really going to do the San Diego one, hotel and all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I'm doing the virtual the race organizers are offering. The way virtuals work is you put in the miles the day of the race, but wherever you choose to walk (even on a treadmill) and log your results into the race's website. With Covid going on, I have a feeling most, if not all, of the big popular races will be offering virtuals. It looked to me like even this morning's Los Angeles Marathon didn't have near the number of participants as previous years.

      Delete
    2. Do you have to pay to enter the virtual one and do you receive the swag?

      Delete
    3. Yes and yes. Same price, no reduction for convenience of not having to be at the actual site .. probably because of receiving the same swag as the others.

      Delete
    4. Well, the jacket looks great and will be useful. I hope they give you a choice of color. Noticed the chocolate treat too!

      Delete