Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Panic Buying

The checker and bag person were making fun of people panic buying toilet paper at the market yesterday. Not to their face but, as the panic buyer walked away, and I took her place at the counter, the checker and bag person began to disparage her.
The acoustics was terrible, so I couldn’t make out all they were saying, except when the bag person looked at me and tried to draw me into the conversation with, “They can’t eat toilet paper”.
Not wanting to be thus included in making fun of anyone for any reason, I said, “You never know. They might”.
A ridiculous comeback, but it was all I had. LOL.
Actually, there appeared to be plenty of toilet paper on the shelf, no need to panic buy. What they didn’t have was dried seaweed (nori). Someone was either planning a huge sushi party or panic bought ALL the nori.


The market tried to mask the absence of nori by repositioning products to cover the gaps where usually three/four different brands of nori can be found, but that didn’t fool me.
Oh well.
Having previously reported panic buying of wipes had not reached this area, as there was still plenty on the shelf, I looked around and found those shelves are now completely bare.


Guess it’s a good thing I’ve got a stash of my own, because I ALWAYS keep wipes in the car, in the house, and in my fanny pack because … people.
Even though I could not ascertain how well I did at Saturday’s Shamrock 5k, because of the way the sorority’s broke results down, tracking data accumulated from the device on the back of my bib came though and indicates I came in 2nd in the 61+ category. A 67-year-old beat me out by three minutes.
If you're curious as to how tracking works … it's the magic of radio frequency identification (RFID). There is an RFID reader embedded in the mat on the ground at the start point, and a RFID chip on back of our bibs. As we pass the RFID ground reader, data from the chip is sent to a computer indicating our bib number, time we crossed the reader heading out, time we crossed the reader coming back in. Then it breaks down results by age (evidently there were no racers over 61, other than myself and the No. 1 person). Further it breaks down my position compared to all who participated.

Front

Back

Overall, I came in 110 out of 267 participants.
Not bad. I’ll take it.
.

3 comments:

  1. That is truly a result to be proud of! It's great that you have those chips so you can tell how well you did, even when you are competing for fun against yourself. I had no idea that was how they did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finish. I agree, I won't disparage panic buying since honestly, there are some things I'd prefer not to run out of either should there be store rationing or closures due to the pandemic and when outbreaks get worse and spread isn't well contained. I bought a larger than usual supply of TP and Hand Sanitizer myself since my SIL in Cali told me it can't be had there already... and becoming scarce here in Phoenix too. I think the Economic impact of this is going to be critical and when people cannot work, receive child care, obtain appropriate or adequate health care if they do get infected... it could really impact things if a Public Panic ensues. People are afraid, disinformation is rampant, so I just think the uncertaintly of all that is making some people want to be more prepared... and others scoff because they think they're immune and it won't happen to them... seems people in general either downplay it too much or are already acting like the Zombie Apocalypse is upon us.

    ReplyDelete