Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Overreacting ???

I’m big on punctuality. I hate having my time wasted and am careful not to waste anyone else’s time. Consequently, I’m always a few minutes early to appointments of whatever nature.
Thus it is, I generally arrive at the Pain Cave for my 11:45 appointment, at 11:40 ─ occasionally, 11:35 and kill the extra time in the car ─ listening to music or playing PokemonGo.
It was pouring down rain yesterday which, having to put on boots, a jacket, grab an umbrella threw me off. I arrived precisely at 11:45.
“You’ve never been this late before Shirley”, said Trainer (even though I technically was not late, rather precisely on time). “I was beginning to worry”, he went on to say. “Was just about to call to see if you were okay”.
“Awwwwwww”, murmured I. He’s such a sweet kid. Was worried about me.
To look at him, you’d never guess him to be so soft, caring. Muscular and all tatted up, one might judge him as a badass gangbanger.
At any rate, tomorrow’s session was rescheduled to today, because I have a conflicting appointment tomorrow. Tomorrow also happens to be our one-year anniversary, as my first training session was March 12, 2019.
Trainer was joking around about me abandoning him on our anniversary.
“Don’t feel too bad” said I. “You’ve lasted longer than some of my boyfriends”.
He got a good laugh from that and said, “Back at you. You’ve lasted longer than many of my girlfriends”.
Arriving back at the complex, I found a notice attached to the door that, due to this Covid thing, management is cancelling all social events (what few we did have), including the coffee setup in the Community Room, and asking residents not to leave refreshments, i.e., donuts, cookie, cupcakes, etc.
Good, thought I. Not just because it’s smart to limit social contacts during this COVID thing, but because the seniors need this timeout, from the bingo they so dearly love, so they can reflect on their behaviors of late. Consider what’s really important, what is not.
Management is also requesting we not contact them via in person office visits, use the telephone instead.
Plus, when placing a work order, management would like for us to tell them if we are ill or not feeling well. (Probably so they can have an excuse for not showing up).
Ha! Good luck with that one, thought I, as it’s difficult enough to get service when we’re feeling great.
Is management overreacting? Carrying things too far? I dunno? It sounds like they are deathly afraid of being contaminated by one of us. Maybe it is us who should be afraid of being contaminated by one of them, not want them in our units or near us because we don’t know where their bodies have been, with whom they’ve come in contact.
I think management is overreacting, but only time will tell.
At any rate, there now being no reason for the seniors to come out of their units, this place is going to start looking like a deserted ghost town.
Another fun looking run/walk has come to my attention but, inasmuch as festivals and large gatherings are being cancelled right and left, I’m not sure the one’s I’ve already registered for (except for the virtual) will take place. So, I’m taking a wait and see stance on registering for this latest one.
I’ve got to hurry up a trip to Macy’s — to replenish makeup and a trip to the craft store — for floss, before said businesses find it necessary to shut down.
Hopefully businesses won’t get that afraid of customers, but you never know.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not certain what is prudent and what is overreacting anymore, I do know that safeguards are probably best rather than none at all or a cavalier attitude towards this pandemic. Especially since we are in a high risk group, I'm erring on the side of caution since we're Seniors, still raising a Teen, and both The Man and my Grandchild are medically fragile with pre-existing respiratory ailments that are significant. I don't know that things will return to previous 'normal', I do think numbers are low due to lack of Testing and perhaps that could be Political to downplay this... judging from how much disinformation this Administration has already given to the Public, which is irresponsible and dangerous. I do Hope we all stay Safe and Well. Like you, I am punctual to a fault, if I'm 15 Minutes Early I consider myself Late. *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we all have to take a better safe than sorry position, use common sense but not go nuts about it. My friend Q just paid $29 for six rolls of Charmin toilet paper, and it was the last package available at the store in his neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. We've had cancellations on all our next volunteer activities as well as the social fun events! At least we were saved having to make a decision about helping. People are avoiding the Mall which is where we walk if it is cold or raining and, right now, it's the perfect place to go as it is SO quiet! Even the (usually obnoxious) music is turned down low. We are considered elderly (75 and 79) but certainly don't want to just sit at home. I think we will visit the Museum and eat at a Chinese restaurant today.

    Congratulations on completing one year with Trainer. I know it's expensive to have a P.T. and it is also a big commitment on your behalf. I give you much credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mall is a good idea for my walk this weekend if it's still raining as, like yours, it will probably be quiet.

      Delete