Monday, January 27, 2020

There Goes the Neighborhood

Construction of that Starbucks, going up within walking distance of the complex, is in full swing.
Hearing the faint sounds of construction all the way over to my quad, I felt for the neighbors nearest the wall between our complex and the construction site. The all-day beep beep beep of equipment backing up, the clanging and banging must be driving those residents nuts, but the end will be Nirvana, thought I ─ waking up to the smell of Starbuck’s coffee wafting over the wall, and interesting people watching while sitting on one’s patio during the day.
On the other hand, perhaps not Nirvana but Hell because, heading out Friday morning for an appointment at the nail salon, I noticed from my parking spot that the top of the structure was now visible and it did not look like the colors in a Starbucks logo (green, white, a circle with a mermaid).


On the way out of the area, I detoured through the market parking lot to get a closer look and, sure enough, it’s a 7-Eleven, which we definitely don’t need in this neighborhood as it attracts a different kind of clientele, and this one with a gas station even. We do need a gas station, but next door to the complex is not ideal.


We already have a 7-Eleven, end of the long block in the opposite direction and, judging by the characters hanging around outside, it’s a troubled area to be avoided. The thought of another 7-Eleven, right next door to the complex, seems to me to put us seniors in a vulnerable position.
Instead of smelling coffee and people watching, residents on that side will smell gas fumes and be witness to early morning/late evening robberies.
What happened?
Why did the plans change?
And the plans did change because I went online to research and whereas there previously appeared a giant Starbucks, now appears a “joint 7-Eleven”.


It would be great if “joint” meant also a Starbucks, and there is another long building indicated as “site”, but I can’t imagine Starbucks would build next to a 7-Eleven. I think “7 Eleven” is the gas station portion and “site” is the 7-Eleven building.
At any rate, as a result of the original plan, there was the Starbucks Effect ─ the rent went up. I don’t imagine it will happen, but would be fair if the increase gets rescinded.
Tomorrow is the Community Meeting, formerly titled “Residents/Management Meeting”. Because Community Managers kept getting fired or quitting, this will be the first such meeting we’ve had since June of 2018.
The meet is scheduled for 10:00, which gives me time to attend.
I don’t have any complaints and, hopefully, the meet will be non-contentious with other residents, over by 11:00 because, if things drag on, I’ll have to walk out by 11:20 at the latest to grab my gear and head for the pain cave.
As I’m typing this update, I’m noticing my new manicure is already chipping away. From my needlepoint work no doubt but, oddly enough, the young lady that usually does my nails ... the one I requested ... the one who does such good work that, regardless of needlepoint, the polish looks fresh for like forever, didn’t show up so, without telling me she wasn’t there, without asking me if I even wanted to keep the appointment, a girl I didn’t recognize came over to where I was seated and began working on my nails.
As this girl I don’t recall ever seeing before began, she asked, “You don’t want your cuticles cut, just pushed back, right?”
“Yes!” said I with surprise. Then inquired, “How did you know that?”
“I’ve done your nails three times before and I remember”.
Really? When did THAT happen? And did the polish immediately chip off those times as well?
Oh well, it’s only two fingers on my right hand, so I’ll stop by the drugstore after today’s workout and find a red deep enough to mask the chips.

1 comment:

  1. Bummer. What a let down from Starbucks to 7-11. You are right it does bring a totally different crowd and I would think much more traffic than Starbucks would. I did have a Valero outside one complex I lived in. It was an excellent station - clean and bright with lots of extras inside. I really enjoyed having it near but I think we were just lucky. Hope you get a good one like I had.

    ReplyDelete